• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Output question

Jesse714

NAXJA Forum User
So, im just starting a rebuild on my jeep, My jeep is an 89, but i just figured out its a high output block, the casting number on the block is 53008405 which is 91-95, and the head is 7120, which is the same, 91-95, But my question, 91 is the start of HO, and used most of the renix equipment, meaning closed cooling system, yada yada, but, i have the renix style intake manifold and TPS, is this what 91 used? Or when whoever did the motor swap on my jeep, not realize that the ports were different and stuck the 89 intake and exhaust manifolds back on, same as for distributor...?
So i just need to know if my intake manifold is correct for the block, and if 91 used the same style as renix.
I know that newer HO motors changed the TPS design, as well as the throttle cable.
Can anyone help me out?
Thanks in advance
Jesse

Last edited:
Okay, so i just measured the ports on the head and intake, the intake ports are way to small, even though im horrible with a tape measure, im positive their different port sizes, the exhaust ports are smaller than the ports on the exhaust manifold, would it be cheaper to pull an intake for a HO, or have mine ported to match the 7120 head, so i can keep my TPS (brand new) and EGR valve?

My first Jeep was a 91 Laredo, and it had the HO engine; this includes the newer 4-bolt throttle body, intake manifold, open cooling system & so on... I'm assuming that it also had the newer sensors and no EGR valve.

Hesco sells a TPS adaptor to fit the TPS from an older 87-90 Renix to the newer 1991-up throttle body. Other here have made their own adapter, and will pelt you with fruit if you buy one. (J/K, :D ) It would probably be cheaper to just scoop the intake & throttle body from a 91+ 4.0, than have your existing intake manifold machined out. Double check your cylinder head, as slapping a newer intake etc... on a Renix cylinder head would be a waste of time, IMHO. You'd probably have to lose the stock Renix header as IIRC the HO's were built to take care of that internally. You would also have to re-do the vacuum lines to the newer style, but this is probably a good thing as the Renix engine had miles of vacuum lines.

This is all speculation, I've never done it but I have done some research on it.

HTH!

:)

Ah, I thought so, i pulled the wiring harness out last night, because im pretty sure the HO wiring harness is different, for the 02 sensors and what not, why the 99 intake manifold? whats sets it different from 91-98? I took a look at the grand cherokee, am i going to need to swap powersteering pumps too? what about alternators, i think i read somewhere they are adjusted (tensioner) off the alternator, so if i have to swap P/S pumps, then i also have to swap alternator brackets right, so far this is what i know i will need
HO Intake manifold
The brain from a HO
Wiring harness.
Can anybody else add to the list and tell me what else ill need?
Thanks!

Due to new emissions standards the HO was going to loose HP; Chryco redesigned the intake manifold for 99 to increase the HP by removing sharp angles.

Ah i see, besides internally, are there any differences externally? Can i just grab the throttle cable from the junk yard when i go to grab the intake and harness? The 99 uses coil packs so i cant grab the harness out of it right?
As for emissions, with a brand new cat, and evap canister, i should still pass emissions with the HO o2 sensors right?

Ah i see, besides internally, are there any differences externally? Can i just grab the throttle cable from the junk yard when i go to grab the intake and harness? The 99 uses coil packs so i cant grab the harness out of it right?
As for emissions, with a brand new cat, and evap canister, i should still pass emissions with the HO o2 sensors right?
False, 00-01 are DIS, 99 is still has a distributor.
ANd emmissions should work alright. IF you do not have your EGR you may be screwed if they check that sort of thing where you live tho.

you should be using the renix o2 sensor if your using the renix ecu. it sounds like the engine swap that was done using a HO block and head with everything else renix(electronics, sensors, intake, thottle body, tps).

alright, so i just picked up my 96 block, head, wiring harness, and all components, i plan on stroking the 96 motor because it has the main bearing girdle. For 120 bucks, i take everything and anything i want off the jeep, i couldn't pass it up. As for the harness, ive started to put the harness in the jeep, the motor won't be going in for another 2-3 months while i build it, where does the computer mount on a 96 XJ? it looks to me like it mounts in the engine bay, like the G.C. i think, it just seems weird they would put it in the engine bay. It is a refurb mopar comp and looks pretty cool :)

Back