• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ZJ steering upgrade - which part(s)?

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 XJ needs all new steering parts. I've read that you can swap in ZJ V8 steering parts - some parts, but not all of them. :looney:

1. Which parts numbered below are to be replaced with ZJ parts? (Answer by number for convenience!)
2. For a 1997 XJ, what year(s) Grand Cherokee parts should I get?

4633607740_2087960ee1_o.jpg

Last edited:
So instead of #22A in the XJ steering diagram above, I use #14, 15 and 16 in the ZJ diagram below. Direct bolt-in to the XJ steering. Same year (97 ZJ). Correct?

4633127537_eb14e73667_o.jpg

Not quite that simple if you have a '91 or earlier. If you have the earlier model, you need the dreag link as well.

I was looking at the Crown upgrade (which is basically just OE spec plus a ZJ tie rod) but I've read elsewhere that their tie rod sleeves and hardware last as long as milk left out of the fridge.

Figure I'll order all new MOOG parts (with the ZJ substitutes) and that'll fit the bill. Thanks for the help.

I junkyarded mine for a whopping ten bucks (figured I couldn't really lose), but MOOG is good stuff. Go for it.

just throwing it out there but the grand cherokee pitman arms are a one inch drop over stock xj ones

Depends on a bunch of stuff... track bar length, mounting, control arms, etc. Do your lift, measure the angle between the drag link and the track bar and see if you need the drop pitman to get things closer to parallel. When you check, you should be checking the "imaginary" lines not the straight parts of the linkages, i.e. stretch a string from the track bar bolt at the axle to the joint at the frame mount, and another from the TRE at the pitman arm to the TRE at the passenger knuckle and compare the angles of the strings.

...... i just had some slop in my steering and tried that and it worked.... lol i dont get so complicated as to measure stuff and find exact angles

Back