• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the dark colored Roof Dome?

sleestack

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what the dark colored plastic dome mounted on the inside center the roof near the windshield is for? This is on a 96 4x4 sport 4.0 Auto. Thanks in advance

I think it houses the sensor for auto door locks. Or the gov't is watching you.

sleestack, mthere is one in my 89 cherokee limited as well. i think its for the key-fob thing to lock & unlock the electric door locks.

i've pulled mine out & checked it out a bit... no cameras in there. lmao

It's the crappy useless infrared keyless entry system. If you even have the fob, and put it right on the window, it might work, sometimes.

The good news is that it means you already have door lock relays, so if you want to install an aftermarket keyless entry system, it's easy.

Xwhatever. I actually got mine to work from TEN FEET AWAY! by replacing the IR LED in the key fob with a higher output one and replacing the batteries in it too.

The other good thing about it is that this means you can rip that stupid thing off the ceiling and mount a CB radio there, you have both constant and ignition-switched power wires leading to the circuit board under that cover, the constant power one is pink and I forget what the switched power one is (white with a black stripe maybe?)

EDIT: just realized I was sitting less than 5 feet from my 96 FSM, it's white/black. Best ten pounds of paper I ever bought!

Last edited:
Back