• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom Track Bar setup

RalphXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting ready to make a custom track bar to go with my new high steer. Running a HP D44 with Posion Sypder arms. All DOM steering linkage with 1-ton TREs.

I'm looking at my options for a track bar. I'm looking at all my optoins for ends. What would give the best results?

- Johnny Joint and rubber bushing (JKS Style)
- Heim and rubber bushing (What most lifts come with)
- Heims on both ends (would be all custom)

Suggestions or thoughts on each?

JKS makes a universal kit that comes with the tubing, Johnny Joint, rod end with OE rubber bushing, and jam nut. This would probably be the easiest route.

Or buy a track bar and cut it to the right width, would probably be about the same price as the JKS, but not as easy.

Or go all custom with DOM and heims, this would be the most expensive, but very little work for me?

I used small Johny Joint at the frame and the stock rubber bushing at the axle. Cut the old bushing-end off, leaving ~4 inches of old track bar. Cleaned it up with a flapper wheel so that it would fit inside my new 1" ID DOM. Drilled a couple of holes to weld through, and presto, a new, adjustable track bar. If you do this, be careful with the heat while welding! The rubber bushing will cook. I kept wet rags arround the bushing, and welded short beads, allowing time to cool before proceeding. I'm not a fan of heims/rod-ends at the axle. I feel they'll get too sloppy. And I haven't come across a JJ-style joint that will fit the track bar mount at the axle.

So the JKS option wouldn't be my best choice? I can get stuff at cost, so thats why I was looking at that.

Sounds like doing something all custom is the better bet?

Or is the JKS option a good way to go?

xjbubba said:
I used small Johny Joint at the frame and the stock rubber bushing at the axle. Cut the old bushing-end off, leaving ~4 inches of old track bar. Cleaned it up with a flapper wheel so that it would fit inside my new 1" ID DOM. Drilled a couple of holes to weld through, and presto, a new, adjustable track bar. If you do this, be careful with the heat while welding! The rubber bushing will cook. I kept wet rags arround the bushing, and welded short beads, allowing time to cool before proceeding. I'm not a fan of heims/rod-ends at the axle. I feel they'll get too sloppy. And I haven't come across a JJ-style joint that will fit the track bar mount at the axle.

I did this as well

I think the bushing is causing problems for me and binding badly...

Im going to replace it with a heim or a small superflex joint once i make my front 3 link...

Not familiar with JKS track-bar, so can't say if it would be your best choice. I made my own because I like fabbing things that I can do, and, my home-built front D44 has a custom track bar mount that's not in a stock position. So I'm stuck with building my own track-bar, or having some one do it for me. Sounds like the JKS kit results in a similar track-bar to the one I home-brewed, but comes with a new end with rubber bushings, versus using the end off an old track bar.

On mine, I put a hiem on each end, misallignment spacers on the frame side, no spacers on the axle side. I used 1.25x.125 Chromoly with welded inserts. I used right hand and left hand threads which was the BEST idea on planet earth. I can adjust the trackbar length just by loosening the jam nuts and turning the tubing with my hands.

Cost was around $100 for the tubing, hiems, bolts, spacers, inserts and bracket materials.

Another good thing about hiems on both ends is that it takes a lot of the slop out of the steering system in the jeep. That was my 2nd favorite part.

88XJScott said:
On mine, I put a hiem on each end, misallignment spacers on the frame side, no spacers on the axle side. I used 1.25x.125 Chromoly with welded inserts. I used right hand and left hand threads which was the BEST idea on planet earth. I can adjust the trackbar length just by loosening the jam nuts and turning the tubing with my hands.

Cost was around $100 for the tubing, hiems, bolts, spacers, inserts and bracket materials.

Another good thing about hiems on both ends is that it takes a lot of the slop out of the steering system in the jeep. That was my 2nd favorite part.

Any pictures? Did you just do a straight DOM tube with no bends? Why didn't you put the misalignment spacers on the axle side as well?

Back