• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compression and milling on 4.0 head

gimike812

NAXJA Forum User
What are anyones thoughts on milling .010-.020 off a 4.0 head for a bumb in compression when I rework my head and a valve job/ gasket match. Its a renix 4.0 I dont want to swap to the HO setup just a little more pep. I have built a sick 225 slant 6 head and I cut over .120 on that motor to raise my compression but I have no experiance with the 4.0s. What is the stock compression anyway.

There is a thin high performance head gasket from MOPAR that will give you more compression without having to mill the head.

When I had my 90 RENIX rebuilt, the machine shop milled the head and decked the block for a total of .030. They also bored it out to .040 due to #3&4 pistons being melted completely down after a 30 mile drive with no coolant and a blown head gasket and scoring the bore's (these are tough engines!)

I can tell you it runs awesome! I have 5 XJ's, one RENIX and 4 HO's and the RENIX will run step for step with the HO!

Stock compression is low, around 8.7 I think. Using my calculator decking the head .020" and using the mopar .043 (I think) head gasket should yeild around 9.2 CR. Running premium will help against ping.

Back