• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting out, Stopping.

89heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
April 2009 I replaced the broken I6 in my jeep with a new one. I then replaced distributor, cooling, and a lot of electrical.

The Problem: I get in the car in the morning and take off. It runs fine even amazingly with no power loss for most of the day. It then would occasionaly feel like something was sleeping and jerk pretty bad. I had the transfer case rebuilt and the transmision looked at. Wasnt the problem. I brought it to a pretty trusted mechanic and they did a complete tune up. Spark plugs, wires, complete cooling/oil flush and change. It started running fine. 4 days later it did it again. This time it kept doing it. I would drive and it would cut out and hitting the gas didn't do anything except make somewhat quit backfire noises out the pipe. Brought it back and found some bad vaccum hoses going to the gas sensor. It ran fine for awhile and then it happened again. Brought it to an electrical place and they couldn't get the damn jeep to act up.

So problems... It goes and jerks, then cuts out, gas pedal quits working and eventually the car dies. Leads me to gas. But the injection system and fuel pump/filter and lines are good. What else could it be?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

So, will it start right back up or not?

It will start back up every time. Some times the problem will continue sometimes it will start up fine. 3 mechanics and 2 car electrical places haven't been able to find the problem. I figured you guys are smarter.

Some ideas were A)Bad Computer B)Isn't getting enough gas. (Computer Issue)

A**uming the 89? If so, have you bypassed the ballast resistor on the driver's side fenderwell?

i had a simular trouble, it was a vacum line. the intake from my 95 that came out was different than the 97 i dropped in. i thought i had connected them all but i did end up missing one, just one, comes from a box in the center of the firewall. man i felt like an idiot but connected it, runs like a champ.

I know what your talking about. We replaced all the vacuum lines there. We thought it was maybe the controller the vacuum lines plug into.

No, use a piece of wire of the same gauge as the circuit.

or cut the connectors off and use a butt connector to connect them.

89heep,

could be a bad cps thermally breaking down or a bad cps wiring harness.
check for loose or bad ground strap
could be a bad fuel pump relay
also as mentioned, check for a bad or misadjusted tps.

Back