• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to lower Crankshaft for doing RMS?

DT|Ac1d

NAXJA Forum User
Title says it all, I'm in a bind. 2 piece Rear main seal, upper is completely stuck in there. So the tranny is out and I loosened all of the bearing caps, but cannot get the crankshaft to drop for nothin'. Any ideas on how to get this PITA to drop so I can hopefully get the upper portion of the seal out.

I'm gonna try and loosen up the pistons. Since I'm only trying to drop the rear portion of the crank it should cause the front to move up if anything. In which case the timing chain would just get a little bit of slack in it. Or is something you wouldn't recommend doing?

The timing chain and harmonic balancer and seal will hold it in to a certain degree. The thrust bearing may also prevent the crank from pivoting. Use a brass punch to break the top of the RMS free.

i always push it out with a brass punch, push up on it from one side with the punch and it should rotate out the other side. you shouldn't have to remove any of the main caps to do the RMS.

i always push it out with a brass punch, push up on it from one side with the punch and it should rotate out the other side. you shouldn't have to remove any of the main caps to do the RMS.

Not even the REAR main cap? :D

I've done so many RMS's on the 4.0's that its become a boring task.

I have never had to drop the crank any to knock out the RMS upper half out. I use a teflon stick to drive them out with, you only need to rotate it around a inch or so then you can grab it with a pair of pliers to pull it the rest of the way out.

nope, im a RMS ninja!

Joe is right BTW, I shouldn't post after taking my meds... or is it until ive taken my meds.. lol :wierd:

Just pulling your leg, we knew what you meant! :wave:

Well, I've been using a screwdriver that I ground down on my bench grinder. Worked well enough on mine. But my buddies is just plain stuck in there. Would brass really make any difference over what I'm currently using? BTW its a friends rig, I did my RMS last weekend and he wanted to do his since mine went pretty smoothly.....his not so much.

Well, I've been using a screwdriver that I ground down on my bench grinder. Worked well enough on mine. But my buddies is just plain stuck in there. Would brass really make any difference over what I'm currently using? BTW its a friends rig, I did my RMS last weekend and he wanted to do his since mine went pretty smoothly.....his not so much.

First, never use steel around the crank and main bearings, one false move and the damage is done. I recommend brass or teflon (something softer than the material that the crank and main is made of)to punch the seal out with.

Should never use a screwdriver... metal's way too hard, you risk damaging the crank or the bearing. Use brass.

Are there any solvents or penetrating oils that I could use to possibly help? Also I've been told to soak the new seals in oil then on the edges facing the front/back of the motor to brush a bar of soap on them. Is that correct?

to drop the crank more you will also need to do some thing with the trans like unbolt the converter or if its a stick unbolt it and pull it back far enough to remove the input shaft from the crank.I also had to drop the crank to get my RMS out. where are you in oregon??

He's already got the transmission out - said so in his post ;)

(I considered saying that also)

Alright finally got the bitch out. Called 15 stores only Napa carried brass punches, but 5/8" was the smallest they had. Picked one up ground it down on the bench grinder. 5 good whacks with the hammer and it worked perfect. Still curious about preping the seal with oil and soap.

Doesn't need to specifically be a punch, for instance I use 3/16" diameter brass rod stock from Home Depot's metal supply section when I need to drive the roll pin out of a d30 carrier. Costs about 4 bucks for a 3 foot long piece, and is more than sufficient :thumbup:

Prepping it with oil is pretty normal and is exactly the environment it'll be in eventually anyways, I've heard molybdenum assembly grease and dish soap also help, don't see how they'd really hurt unless you REALLY went overboard with the soap.

The only reason I recommended brass was because its softer than the crank shaft and even if you hit the crank shaft you won't damage it. I've use a chopstick in the past with good luck. Anyhow, glad you got out.

What I have done to install the new one is use dish detergent on the out side and oil on the lip. When you are reinstalling it be careful you don't nick the outside of the seal on the block. The last Felpro RMS kit I used has a piece of plastic card that was meant to be inserted between the block and seal when sliding the top part in to prevent seal damage. Don't know if you have that or not.

Back