• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 wheel bearing removal issues

EpiK XJ

NAXJA Forum User
so i threw it up on jack stands and noticed my front passenger wheel hub was toast, so i picked up a new one, i sprayed it with PB blaster a day ago and let it sit, i hit it about 6 hours ago and then i tried yankin it off, i don't have air tools so i bought a breaker bar and i got a 3 foot tube for some leverage. even with the extra leverage and with me jumpin on the thing it wont budge, so i hit it with a propane torch for a good 2 mins and tried again.. nothing, so now im screwed, my only rig and i cant even fix it to get to work. im broke and dont have any money to go spend on special tools so does anyone else have any ideas?

36mm air gun. iirc.

im sorry you dont have air tools, but it REALLY, REALLY helps... find someone local with air. it comes RIGHT off.

maybe try immitating an airgun, make a loud irritating noise and hammer the breaker bar (carefull not to let it slip off and mess up the nut). like hitting the breaker with a hammer down near the socket head.

All wheels on ground, in gear, park brake on, wheels chocked.
Jackstand set to appropriate height to cradle a short extension.
Stout breaker bar, 6 feet of pipe, body in failsafe mode in case (when?) something lets go.

But in this particular 36mm application, never met something my IR Titanium 1/2" wouldn't remove.

yeah i found a co worker whose got an air gun, i just hope my compressor is big enough to handle the job, its just a little 30 gallon. yeah this nut bent a brand new 5 foot long breaker and snapped the end off, so im gona hit it with some more blaster and then torch it for a couple mins before i try it again.

I had the same problem with my 89, I just managed to find someone with air tools. It was on there so good that when my buddy was trying to take it off by standing on the breaker bar with some pipe as an extension it bent his breaker bar.

I have also broken a breaker bar on a spindle nut and ended up using an impact wrench.

You could remove the bearing and axle shaft as a unit. Then use a new (used) axle shaft. Then there's no need to remove the spindle nut from the old shaft. Shafts are cheap at junk yards. I swapped my (broken) shaft on the trail in the mud in less than an hour the other day.

Back