• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wellnut torque

fasteddieyj

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a few wellnuts that have partially pulled out of the roof on my 88 and picked up the replacements this morning. Got hem for 80 cents a piece at the local Carquest, compared to the $7.42 a pc I got quoted at the local stealership. I looked at some thread the other day about them and one mentioned the torque for them but I can't find it now. I believe it said 6-8 ft/lbs. Can anyone confirm this or if not tell me what the appropriate torque is. TIA

I've got a few wellnuts that have partially pulled out of the roof on my 88 and picked up the replacements this morning. Got hem for 80 cents a piece at the local Carquest, compared to the $7.42 a pc I got quoted at the local stealership. I looked at some thread the other day about them and one mentioned the torque for them but I can't find it now. I believe it said 6-8 ft/lbs. Can anyone confirm this or if not tell me what the appropriate torque is. TIA

6-8 pound-feet (72-96 pound-inches) is the spec I use for 1/4" well nuts, so that probably came from me.

Don't forget to apply light-bodied silicone sealer (I used Auto Glass Sealer) to both the screw threads and the OD of the well nut under the flange.

Oh - and the OEM screws will not work with aftermarket wellnuts - it's some whack-assed thread that is more like an auger than a screw. Get flat head machine screws as well, in brass or CRES (rust blows.)

6-8 pound-feet (72-96 pound-inches) is the spec I use for 1/4" well nuts, so that probably came from me.

Don't forget to apply light-bodied silicone sealer (I used Auto Glass Sealer) to both the screw threads and the OD of the well nut under the flange.

Oh - and the OEM screws will not work with aftermarket wellnuts - it's some whack-assed thread that is more like an auger than a screw. Get flat head machine screws as well, in brass or CRES (rust blows.)

Thanks man. Yeah I think it was a post that you had that I got that from.
As for the OEM screws not working I'm a little confused. The screws appear to be standard machine screws and the well nuts I got are 6mm. I screwed them together and they seem to go together as I would expect. Can you enlighten me a little more on why I shouldn't use them. Not saying your wrong, I'd just like a little more info. Thanks.

Thanks man. Yeah I think it was a post that you had that I got that from.
As for the OEM screws not working I'm a little confused. The screws appear to be standard machine screws and the well nuts I got are 6mm. I screwed them together and they seem to go together as I would expect. Can you enlighten me a little more on why I shouldn't use them. Not saying your wrong, I'd just like a little more info. Thanks.

Ah. You probably got different screws than I saw, then.

The screws I'd removed when I'd peeled my OEM roof rack off (just used 1/4"-20 brass pan heads and well nuts to plug the holes) were some funky high helix angle thread - the helix angle looked to be 25-30*!

If you've screwed M6-1.0 screws into the well nuts and it worked, forget what I said. My parts probably came from a different bin. I'd pulled one screw, looked at it, then threw it away (knowing I'd not have been able to use it anywhere else at all!)

Ah. You probably got different screws than I saw, then.

The screws I'd removed when I'd peeled my OEM roof rack off (just used 1/4"-20 brass pan heads and well nuts to plug the holes) were some funky high helix angle thread - the helix angle looked to be 25-30*!

If you've screwed M6-1.0 screws into the well nuts and it worked, forget what I said. My parts probably came from a different bin. I'd pulled one screw, looked at it, then threw it away (knowing I'd not have been able to use it anywhere else at all!)
OK then. Thanks again.

Back