• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky P/S resevoir + White Smoke?

JD'S-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed when pulling a hard left into my driveway that alot of white smoke started billowing out from under my hood. I turned off the motor and popped the hood and the smoke stopped. I took a flashlight and noticed there was a puddle of what looked like power steering fluid. The hose that goes from the reservoir to the steering gear unit looks saturated at the coupler.

Is it likely that the power steering fluid is hitting the exhaust manifold and causing the white smoke? Or am I possibly in deeper water? I do notice the valve cover shows signs of an oil leak, and the rear main seal leaks. My jeep does not run hot or over heat and generally runs under 210 and usually sits at 190. Would that rule out the possibility of a bad head gasket? Or am I just being naive and a bad head gasket is the cause of my white smoke.

Any ideas, advice, or experiences of your own with a white smoke issue? I would greatly appreciate any help at all.

Power steering leak?
Cracked exhaust header? (im due for an oil change, maybe oils smoking?)
Or......a bad head gasket?

Jeep runs fine, pulls strong, oil pressure stays at a reasonable spot and the jeep stays at a cool temperature. This is the first time it has ever smoked pretty good. It has let a few wisps of smoke before, but this time it billowed out after making the sharp left up into the driveway.:banghead:

I would guess you burned up some steering fluid. It is under pressure at some point in its circuit, maybe it leaked and sprayed?

If your exhaust is super loud, or a little loud then quiet when it warms up- your manifold is probably fine.

Doubt it's the head gasket.

If you're tired of the valve cover leaking, go get a new felpro gasket. They should be under 10 bucks. Would be a good time to clean up the cover and CCV hoses.

The rear main seal is a pretty big job. They are a common leak on these too.

I would guess you burned up some steering fluid. It is under pressure at some point in its circuit, maybe it leaked and sprayed?....

...and if sprayed enough onto a hot manifold *poof* you're on fire. Pop the hood and have someone start it up and turn the wheel side to side...if you have a P/S leak it shouls be apparent. New pressure hose with o-rings is about $25. Return hose - cheap - just regular P/S hose, cutr to length.

If you're tired of the valve cover leaking, go get a new felpro gasket. They should be under 10 bucks. Would be a good time to clean up the cover and CCV hoses.

A Felpro gasket is actually around $35-$40 depending on where you get it.

The rear main seal is a pretty big job. They are a common leak on these too.

Yes, it is. It's possible you won't need it if you fix the VC gasket. RMS usually never makes it to the manifols to burn/smoke.

Thank you everyone for chiming in.

I believe it is the P/S fluid that is my main problem. I bought the high pressure line today and hopefully can change it in the next few days. I looked at my manifold this morning and do have a very big crack in it. So I know that is in need of fixing. I should probaly do the valve cover gasket too. Those aren't to hard to replace correct?
'

ive had multiple leaks in the power steering hoses (usually the pressure side). they often dont show up untill you crank the wheel hard to one side and hit the steering stop. then its a pinhole leak that shoots wherever it's pointed. new hosess are retarded cheap.

splurge for the $45 rubber (re-usable) kind, if you plan on keeping the jeep.
cork is wack

So whats the best way to go about changing the hose? Do I undo the lower hose and let all the fluid drain out? Is there a way to keep the fluid from spilling out? Or is it better to just put all new fluid back into the unit. Will I also need to bleed the system when installing new fluid.

So whats the best way to go about changing the hose? Do I undo the lower hose and let all the fluid drain out? Is there a way to keep the fluid from spilling out? Or is it better to just put all new fluid back into the unit. Will I also need to bleed the system when installing new fluid.

When was the last time the PS fluid was changed? Don't know or don't remember--then drain it and fill with new. SLOWLY turn the wheel lock to lock, and keep checking/adding fluid until it reads full. You don't want the fluid to become aerated.

Ok so how in the heck do you get the lower high pressure fitting off of the steering gear?? I tried using an 18mm crows foot but could not for the life of me get the fitting loose. I used almost a whole bottle of penetrating oil. Any trick to getting these off? I removed the air intake to get a better angle, but is there any better ways?

As far as putting new fluid in, do i have to suck the old fluid out?

It's probably an SAE size - generally what I do is cut the old line off a little above the end of the fitting, then use a deep socket and some extensions. The risk is that you won't be able to get the fitting out, but using a 6 point socket you are much less likely to round off the fitting so that's not as much of a worry.

I did the P/S pumps and lines on both Jeeps in about 1.5 hrs.

The nut on the pressure line, for me, was an 18mm. Some close SAE might work. It's a bit*h of an angle but it does come off. No need to take the low pressure line off the gear box unless you want to change the o-ring...and you WILL spill fluid.

Speaking of o-ring, make sure it's seated on there right. There are two types of end fittings IIRC, One is a captive o-ring in a slot, one just slides on up to a flange, smear some P/S fluid on the o-ring. Make sure you don't cross thread the fitting. P/S fluid is a great lubricant

Have a buddy, kid, g/f, wife etc. help when you flush the old fluid out so you can monitor the P/S fluid. You'll damage the pump/gear if you let it run dry.

After you've changed the hoses, leave the cut-to length low pressure side long enough to put the pump end of the hose in a proper receptacle (I used and empty 2 liter Coke bottle. When the fluid runs nice and clear, stop, cut the hose to proper length and put it back on the reservoir. Turn the wheel side to side (easier if front wheels are off the ground) to purge whatever air is left in there. Check fluid (don't over fill), drive, check fluid again, repeat. Check for leaks etc. etc.

I kinda like the idea of cutting the old line off.....but I am kind of limited on my tool selection. I tried for like 2 hours yesterday with an 18mm crows foot and could not for the life of me get the fitting loose. I did loosen the upper fitting, but it looks as if I didnt tighten back on correctly because I now have a huge puddle of oil under my jeep after my drive to work

Last edited:
Back