• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ironman fab control arms

seven

Subluxation Based
I had a clunk in my front end that I traced down to being my lower fixed procomp arms and their bushings. I thought this would be a great time to upgrade to adjustables.
I started looking at control arms and had seen a recent thread about Ironman 4x4 trac bar, so I looked at their control arms. I called andy up and he answered all me questions. I ordered and two weeks later the UPS showed up.

I will start with the lower control arms. My thoughts and concerns. First off they were a lot heavier and beefier than my procomp arms. The concerns I have after install is that with my HD lower control arm brackets The front Zerk is not accessable unless I drop my arm every time I need to grease it.

Solid stock arms

CIMG3451.jpg

Showing the adjustability

CIMG3452.jpg

with arms bolted in Can you see the grease zerk?

CIMG3464.jpg

I don't know I like having to drop it everytime I want to grease it.

CIMG3462.jpg

Onto the Upper arms. These also are pretty beefy. Disregard what looks likes scratches that is the wrapping that stuck to the arms when I unpacked.

CIMG3453.jpg

Up until now I had the stock uppers. I was surprised that I actually had to lengthen the upper arms to make them match the stock ones. you can see that I actually had to lengthen them by about 3/4 inch to make them match.

CIMG3455.jpg

Once again the zerk becomes unobtainable when installed.

CIMG3458.jpg

To get to the zerk you also have to disconnect the front mount of the upper arm and rotate it up so it becomes obtainable.

CIMG3466.jpg

Overall I am happy with my purchase. Once I had the new ones on the clunk disappeared. I like that they have grease zerks, However the Idea of having to disconnect them every time that I want to grease them I am usure about. I guess that the upside is that I know the the zerks are protected offroad and wont get knocked off by any trail obstacles.

Seems to be a great product .

I ordered a set of these the other day, adjustable to work with drop brackets. Talked to Andy, custom length with no bend in them didn't cost me any extra and only took a couple of days to get fabbed up and shipped. Should see them early next week. For less than $300 shipped can't complain at all.

Bad idea running poly bushings at both ends. I made the mistake of buying a Procomp 3" lift for my first lift and it came with those same LCAs you had. Both LCA mounts, on the axle and body, were wallowed out pretty bad, from the poly not allowing the suspension to flex. I was able to take care of the axle side when I swapped in the HP 30, but I still get some noise up front from the body side. Hopefully the drop brackets I'm getting ready to install, will give me the chance to fix that, if not I'll have to deal with it until I go long arms.

Bad idea running poly bushings at both ends. I made the mistake of buying a Procomp 3" lift for my first lift and it came with those same LCAs you had. Both LCA mounts, on the axle and body, were wallowed out pretty bad, from the poly not allowing the suspension to flex. I was able to take care of the axle side when I swapped in the HP 30, but I still get some noise up front from the body side. Hopefully the drop brackets I'm getting ready to install, will give me the chance to fix that, if not I'll have to deal with it until I go long arms.
The problem with the Pro Comp arms is not the poly bushings. They deflect just fine. The problem is that the steel sleeve inside the bushing is not strong enough and it crushes when you torque down the control arm bolts and allows the bolt to move a wallow out the hole. I had some of those and when I put some strong steel sleeves in them they were fine after that.

Those look similar to the old style Tera Flex control arms I ran - briefly - in the rear of my TJ. They had very little lateral flex in the bushings and caused the upper brackets to crack, a pretty common problem when using arms with poly bushings.

Personally, I'll never run poly bushings in the control arms again - any arms I build or buy will have factory style rubber or Johnny Joints.

drill a hole in each of the mounts to make a grease access point. Easy

That is what I was going to suggest. Great minds think alike.

Just got mine in. They look great BUT aren't the length I wanted and they have the bend, which I didn't want either. I think they will work if I need them to, but we will see.

Communication is key, guess it got mixed up somewhere :dunno:

Back