• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake/signal tail lights

kndrewa

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
a few years back i installed these steel taillight boxes for my 97.
in order to wire it up, i had to use one light as combo brake/signal.

tailhousings.jpg

so, you know the 'ticka-ticka-ticka' that happens when you blow a turn signal fuse?
well, i get that, but only when im signaling and braking at the same time.

idears?

The Cherokees have one light for brakes/running and one for turns. You cant hook them both up or when your on your brakes you will cancel out the turns or vise versa cant remember which. I had this issue when I wired up for my trailer plug. My trailer has the LED single oval lights like those and I had the same problem. Basically you need a converter to run a single dual element bulb setup like what you have there. What you would need to do is wire in the light with a converter like this one, just cut the plug off and use the wires for the trailer plug side http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e&gan=1&apwidDBv3b4a

yeah i remember using a converter of some kind..
the brake lights work fine.
the turn signals work fine.

but when i try to do both at the same time, the signals act like there is a blow fuse..
..but there isnt!

thanks guys, i'll maybe dig a bit deeper.
i was hoping someone would say 'buy these bulbs instead' or something.

maybe ill contact wheelin jr

Are those LED or just regular bulbs....since you said bulbs my guess is bulbs. But you could try using a "heavy duty" flasher relay. Those reduce the fast flashing.

Back