• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird hood problem

k.allen90

NAXJA Forum User
ever since i bought this jeep i've been trying to get it running again. The engine is fine just some sensors are bad and i'm currently in the process of finding which one is broke. But today I found an airline that was clogged so I changed it and fixed jeep ran fine no problem, had a low idle but other then that it ran which was what I was trying to get it do so I can get it to the shop on base that I can use to fix the other things. But as soon as we closed the hood to drive it to the shop it shut off, it slowly started to loose rpms and then it died and now it wont start again. Any ideas on what could have happened? I've never had this happen before with any car I've done work on. I looked to see if it hit something and the only thing it hits is the washer fluid tank but nothing else. Any help greatly appreciated.

Check your CKP (Crank position sensor), driver side near rear of head. Unlupg it check the connections make sure its alright, then plug it back in. And if it starts. There's your problem.
Also, could be heat soak with the sensor or others. Depending on how warm the engine was with the hood open.

Please, always start your posts with Year/Engine/Transmission/any other tech information you can think of.

Was it running BEFORE you repaired the airline?

It was and it wasn't running before I had the hood open. It ran for the the first week or so that I had it and now it doesn't run so i've been trying to figure out what is wrong with it. But I have to no clue about the engine or does the guy i bought it from. I know it has an engine from a newer jeep but my jeep is an 89. I know the engine is newer but I have no clue as to how new. Neither does the guy I bought the jeep from. The engine is fine, it runs fine when it does run but it only runs every now and then so i know it is a sensor but the wiring sucks, as in a lot of the wiring is on top of the headers so its burnt through so i'm rewiring the whole jeep to see what happens. Same with the trans, I know nothing about what it came from, but at this point in time I'm so aggravated with trying to fix it that I'm thinking about tearing the whole engine and trans out and replaceing it with something a lot newer so I know what is what. I know its not a fuel issue, I already checked that. If I can't figure it out soon i'm bout to just sell it and go back to toyota trucks. I know those trucks from top to bottom and never really have had problems from them but I love what this jeep can do just from what I've done with it already.

So that would be a Renix injection set up on yours then. If there are burnt through wires I would guess you are shorting out across somthing and its all a matter of luck as to when somthing shorts or not. Shutting the hood was probly enough of a vibration or what not to short it out again. Bare wires are never a good thing in any electrical system.

Ok, so you have confirmed correct fuel pressure (31 w/vac-39 w/o vac) and you have confirmed that the injectors are getting a signal and fuel is entering the cylinders.

So, if you have compression, then the missing element is spark.

Renix will not trigger a spark until the engine has "spun up" to 300+ rpms. Are you cranking FAST? Crank sensor sends data to ECU, ECU signals ICM and there is spark. When cranking do you have 12 volts supply to the ICM, three wire connector, "A" pin?

Back