• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch revisited: Imperial or Torqflo?

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
I was reading an old thread and the consensus on these was get the OEM. Unfortunately I can't be dropping $100+ on a fan clutch right now. One person said they thought the Torqflo worked fine and 2 said the Imperial was good. Everyone seemed to think the Hayden was junk.

Anybody use either the Imperial or Torqflo? How did it work out for you?

Thanks....

Buy one from NAPA.

If you want an upgrade get the ZJ HD fan clutch, $44 at NAPA, No. 272310. Not the ZJ Max Cool, it won't fit.

Buy one from NAPA.

If you want an upgrade get the ZJ HD fan clutch, $44 at NAPA, No. 272310. Not the ZJ Max Cool, it won't fit.

Thankya Sir... and the ZJ HD clutch has a good reputation? Do you notice it louder, affect MPG, strain the motor, extra stress on belt system at high RPMs, anthing like that?

Last edited:
X2 on the NAPA ZJ HD Fan Clutch. I put one in about two months ago and it has helped control temps and is superb. No noticeable additional noise, and no performance trade-offs that I can determine.

I put the napa HD fan clutch in 2 days ago. It seems noisy to me but the old one was fairly useless so I'll just turn up the Skynyrd and quit whining.

Buy one from NAPA.

I have one sitting on the shelf, I'm amazed our ZJ runs as cool as it does with as tight as the cooling system is.

What exactly is the difference with the ZJ fan clutch? Does it engage at a lower temperature? Does it lock up more when it does engage?

The bi-metal springs are about the same--when the air hitting the spring after flowing through radiator reaches 170 degrees the spring starts to open the valve on the silicone reservoir--the engine coolant will be about 30 degrees hotter than that.

Standard and HD fan clutches spin at 30 percent of shaft speed when disengaged. When engaged the standard spins at 60-70 percent of shaft speed, the HD spins at 80-90 percent!

Is it louder--yes, louder than a standard, quieter than a fixed blade fan.

Thank You Joe.
It seem that most of the posts I find with great info in them have you as a main contributor.

That's because I steal information and good ideas only from the best sources! LOL!

Good luck.

I did the HD clutch and while it's louder than I like, I live in NYC and most of the time my Jeep is just idling in traffic. You can't beat the cooling the HD clutch provides, I also added a bottle of water wetter 2 weeks ago and the temp is now stable at 210 idling all day long.

Back