• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water/sand in engine

sleeperjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
:cry: So I'm an idiot and thought my XJ (4.0 Inline six) was a submarine. apparantly its not. I sucked water and granite sand into my intake.

I removed the spark plugs and turned over the engine to eject the water. then put them back in, started it and it blew water out the intake. however I have a feeling there is still granite sand in my engine as there was some stuck to the plugs when I took them out.

I'm going to change the oil this weekend, incase there is water in the oil.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning sand out of my engine? It started and ran fine, but I only ran it for a few minutes until it stopped blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. I'm not sure if sand in the cylinders is going to ruin my engine if I drive it, or if there are any other precautions I should take before driving it again.

Thanks in advance.

1. Sand in the engine WILL damage it.

2. If it was mine I would pull it and disassemble the engine entirely. You have most likely suffered some damage to the cylinder walls/pistons/rings. Whether or not the bottom end has been damaged depends on how much you run it without taking it apart.

3. I would sincerely start looking for a salvage yard engine.

2. If it was mine I would pull it and disassemble the engine entirely. You have most likely suffered some damage to the cylinder walls/pistons/rings. Whether or not the bottom end has been damaged depends on how much you run it without taking it apart.

x2. I just cringe thinking of the sand in there chewing up every surface in the engine.

I only ran it for a few minutes, but granite sand is about as abrasive as it gets, its practically gravel. Is there anyway I could clean most of it out, without disassembling the engine? such as blowing air down the spark plug holes and pulling off the intake an cleaning that out, or am I basically F'd. I just emptied my savings to buy this thing, and killed in 5 seconds. I'm open to ideas. I'm good with a wrench, and have worked on jeeps for a few years, but I've never attempted to rebuild a motor, would likely end with it in pieces all over my living room if I tried.

Keep your fingers crossed for me, I just talked to a shop that I trust. The guy said that engine should expell all the sand, but said if I wanted, he could put a camera down the cyclinder and check for damage and sand.

He also said I should check all my fluids, oil, tranny, t-case, diffs, as water likely got in there, and to re lube all the joints and what not.

so hopefully I won't have any irreversable damage. said water locking the engine can sometimes bend a rod, so he'll check for that as well.

at this point, I just got to do what I can and hope for the best. I don't have the money for a complete rebuild or engine swap.

If you did suck water into that engine, it is most likely a ticking time bomb. A lot of the engines I've heard that suck water into them, go on to run a little while longer, then blow a rod through the engine block.

I would start looking for a replacement engine just so if it happens, you will have something lined up.

a junk yard engine (especially a u-pull-it place) shouldn't be that expensive but to help yours last that much longer I'd definately change ALL of the fluids from front to back including antifreeze just in case. I think that to protect your bottom end I'd pull the oil pan and just clean everything out really well. That sand will not be forgiving on those bearings what so ever! Change your trans, t-case and diff fluid too. I don't imagine that lubing your joints will be too difficult but definately useful. I'd try to do how much I could on my own. The savings as you well know would be worth it (I'm on a penny budget so I know! LOL) ! Good luck!

They used a silica-based powder/sand to destroy all those cash-for-clunkers engines. Granite has a very high silica content (>60%). I would not guess your engine will last long. Might be a good time to research Strokers. With the cylinders bored out and new pistons/rings, you may be ok. Or hit up craigslist/junkyards for 4.0s.

Good luck and sorry for your predicament....

If you havn't yet, start a "WTB" thread for a 4.0 in your local chapter section (Sierra). You'd be surprised at how cheaply a NAXJA member might let go of a good spare engine for a wheeler in need.

Good Luck.

How the hell did the sand get past the air filter anyway?

How the hell did the sand get past the air filter anyway?
I had a stock filter that runs to the front grill. the suction must have lifted the filter out of place and allowed the sand and water to get sucked into the engine.

I was asking myself the same question when I pulled the plugs. All I got to say is that these engines are tough. My buddy was driving a K5 Blazer and did the same thing I did. He had a 350 in it and it is blown. all his rods are crumpled.

I had a stock filter that runs to the front grill. the suction must have lifted the filter out of place and allowed the sand and water to get sucked into the engine.

I was asking myself the same question when I pulled the plugs. All I got to say is that these engines are tough. My buddy was driving a K5 Blazer and did the same thing I did. He had a 350 in it and it is blown. all his rods are crumpled.

knock on wood, but i would do several oil changes as the same thing as the k5 may happen to you in a few 1000 miles.

Back