• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb vacuum leak question....

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
So I go in to get the heap smogged and the tech finds a broken vacuum line. Of course it would have to be repaired before any testing....

He's a really nice guy and hands me a piece of vacuum line to make a patch with and has me put it on, since "by law" he can't do it......

So it got me thinking. Almost every vehicle I've owned has had a vacuum leak that needed fixing at some point or another.

In a quest to get max fuel efficency from my DD, I need to try and find any more leaks.

I stumble across a website that sells "smoke machines". Here's what it says:

"A diagnostic smoke machine is an essential tool for today’s automotive technician. A general-purpose smoke machine typically operates at very low pressure, only about 1 to 1.5 psi. The machine heats mineral oil to create a nontoxic, vapor-like mist. A small pump then blows this smoke through a hose, which can be connected to the PCV hose, brake booster hose or any hose or vacuum fitting to check for leaks. The smoke is white and can be easily seen with a shop light."

Well, they want $1100.00 for the thing..... A bit out of my budget.....

So I'm thinking, "Hmmmmm, operates at very low pressure, heats mineral oil to create a vapor-like mist, small pump blows the smoke through a hose....."

Sounds JUST like those two fog machines I got for last years Halloween party......

So my question is, am I a friggen genius or am I friggen stoopid?

So I go in to get the heap smogged and the tech finds a broken vacuum line. Of course it would have to be repaired before any testing....

He's a really nice guy and hands me a piece of vacuum line to make a patch with and has me put it on, since "by law" he can't do it......

So it got me thinking. Almost every vehicle I've owned has had a vacuum leak that needed fixing at some point or another.

In a quest to get max fuel efficency from my DD, I need to try and find any more leaks.

I stumble across a website that sells "smoke machines". Here's what it says:

"A diagnostic smoke machine is an essential tool for today’s automotive technician. A general-purpose smoke machine typically operates at very low pressure, only about 1 to 1.5 psi. The machine heats mineral oil to create a nontoxic, vapor-like mist. A small pump then blows this smoke through a hose, which can be connected to the PCV hose, brake booster hose or any hose or vacuum fitting to check for leaks. The smoke is white and can be easily seen with a shop light."

Well, they want $1100.00 for the thing..... A bit out of my budget.....

So I'm thinking, "Hmmmmm, operates at very low pressure, heats mineral oil to create a vapor-like mist, small pump blows the smoke through a hose....."

Sounds JUST like those two fog machines I got for last years Halloween party......

So my question is, am I a friggen genius or am I friggen stoopid?

If it works, a genius.

First spend the $25 at autozone to see if you have any leaks -- link. Should be 15-20 hg inches at warm idle.

6325f471.jpg

Back