• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any larger than stock gas tanks out there?

The Adam Blaster

NAXJA Forum User
So far I've found a company in Australia that makes a 125 litre one for $700.00 AUD, but it would cost about the same in shipping charges to get it over here.

Anyone use a company that's a bit closer or less expensive?

Apparently there is a significant difference wit the 96 (or maybe 97) and up tanks, might have something to do wit hthe computer or something...
Anyways, the old ones won't work in the newer vehicles.

Kittrell - aerotanks doesn't seem to list my year on their site, so I called them and sent an email with all my specifics. Thanks for the link. ;)

Not sure where GenRight left off with theirs.

I have a 31 gal from Transfer Flow in Chico, CA

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

Transfer flow does make 30-ish gallon aftermarket tanks that bolt in to stock location.
There are a couple of other makers in NA that make them as well.

Apparently there is a significant difference wit the 96 (or maybe 97) and up tanks, might have something to do wit hthe computer or something...
Anyways, the old ones won't work in the newer vehicles.

Kittrell - aerotanks doesn't seem to list my year on their site, so I called them and sent an email with all my specifics. Thanks for the link. ;)

In 96 they went with a returnless fuel system, the tanks themselves are physically similar if not identical, but the fuel pump sending unit contains a regulator. An aftermarket fuel cell won't be set up for that by default but it's not an insurmountable problem.

dang 30 gallons! that is awesome! it does seem to hang down a little lower ... are the dimensions as far as length and width similar to stock? Just asking in case I want to go throught the floor with a 30 gallon tank

I came in to work this morning with an email from Tom at Aerotanks sitting in my inbox. Here is the entire text of his reply:

Sorry no tank for your year Jeep

Awesome...

On to transfer flow! That sounds much more promising.

In 96 they went with a returnless fuel system, the tanks themselves are physically similar if not identical

Nope. The tanks are nothing a like. The pre 96 are steel, have the fuel pump at the front on an angle, with the pump secures with an steel ring, and have an external pressure regulator. The 96+ tanks are plastic, have the pump on the top of the tank, have the regulator attached to the pump and the pump is secured with a large plastic nut sort of thing.

NWMP, Transfer Flow... neither make a tank for the newer models.
I got emails back from both of them saying as much today.

And you can't do the that simple mod on go-jeep's site on the newer models either.

So far, the only company I have found that makes a tank for the newer XJ's is in Australia.
Booo....

dang 30 gallons! that is awesome! it does seem to hang down a little lower ... are the dimensions as far as length and width similar to stock? Just asking in case I want to go throught the floor with a 30 gallon tank

It fits in the hole, but utilizes the wasted space a stamped tank wastes. It is a little longer and wider in the areas where the pinch seams are. Also angles forward at the bottom. Putting in a D60 might be a clearance problem. Uses stock sending unit. The first ten gallons are above the full mark.

Back