• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tow package question

G.P_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 1992 jeep for parts (tranny and wiring) and the jeep has a tow hitch on it and a switch in the same place as this power/comfort switch but mine doesn't have any words on it. would this still be the same switch or was there another onw they put there insted?

Thanks
Garrett

(the pic below is not of my jeep, just one i found on google to show what switch im talking about)
img00417.jpg

a 1992 would be a high output (in theory). H.O.'s are hardwired into 'power', and dont have a switch. renix's have the switch

so, either someone...
1-put a renix motor in the 92, and hooked up the switch.
2-put a renix gauge cluster bezel in that had it. who knows what its hooked up, or if it is. it could be wired for something else.

pop the 4-6 screws and see if it's hooked up.

I'm not sure which year the switch stopped, but the 91 H.O. my parents had still had it.

Possible that it's a genuine Power/Comfort switch - I believe they deleted it in mid-1992.

And, since the TCU was separate until OBD-II in 1996 (or thereabouts,) you don't have to swap in a RENIX engine to need that switch anyhow! But, it is correct, the later model years were hardwired into "Power" mode.

You want to know which engine setup you have? Look at the throttle body. If it mounts with four studs/nuts at the bottom, it's an HO. If it mounts with three screws that go all the way through the thing, it's RENIX (you'll have to remove the air intake hose to actually see the screws - but not seeing the studs and nuts at the bottom is fairly conclusive anyhow.)

If the PO/engine swapper actually managed to adapt the RENIX intake to an HO head, you'll see a definite space between the intake and exhaust manifold flanges, as the 1991-up intake ports in the head had been raised somewhat for better airflow.

My 91 XJ has a power/comfort switch

And, since the TCU was separate until OBD-II in 1996 (or thereabouts,)
The TCU in the XJ was never integrated into the PCM. It had always been separate.

My 91 XJ has a power/comfort switch

The TCU in the XJ was never integrated into the PCM. It had always been separate.

Even in OBD-II? I'll have to check my notes. I know that ChryCo got huge into the idea of the SMEC (Single Modeule Engine Controller)/SBEC (Single Board Engine Controller)/iPCM (integrated Power Control Module - the "i" is usually inferred) in an effort to simplify wiring. By integrating the transmission controller into the engine controller, they are able to cut down on the "major exits" to the wiring harness, and have them all in the same place...

okay so i pulled the dash apart and the switch is wired but i cant trace the wire throught the birds nest of wiring.

Even in OBD-II? I'll have to check my notes. I know that ChryCo got huge into the idea of the SMEC (Single Modeule Engine Controller)/SBEC (Single Board Engine Controller)/iPCM (integrated Power Control Module - the "i" is usually inferred) in an effort to simplify wiring. By integrating the transmission controller into the engine controller, they are able to cut down on the "major exits" to the wiring harness, and have them all in the same place...

Even on OBD II. On my 2000 its to the right of the steering column near the transmission tunnel. Jeep did integrate it on ZJs and WJs though. Don't know what year for the ZJ, if it wasn't the entire time. This is also the reason why none of the programmers can change the shift points on the AW4, they can only remove torque control, which is controlled through the PCM.

Even on OBD II. On my 2000 its to the right of the steering column near the transmission tunnel. Jeep did integrate it on ZJs and WJs though. Don't know what year for the ZJ, if it wasn't the entire time. This is also the reason why none of the programmers can change the shift points on the AW4, they can only remove torque control, which is controlled through the PCM.

Yeah, I got fooled by the relocation from the passenger's side too, I think it was Talyn/Lawsoncl/eHall that "schooled" me on that one, so then I went to the salvage yard and sure enough.

Back