• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower motor resistor... where to buy?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My fan is now only working on high. Based on the search I did, this means my blower motor resistor is bad, and possibly my blower motor as well.

Blower motor was replaced 4 years ago... is it probably bad again or could I get away with just the resistor?

Also, where should I buy the resistor? Nobody has it in stock local, is there a preferred brand thats better than the rest? Rockauto.com has one for like $7, but all the other ones are around $30. Is the $7 one ok to buy?

Most probably, you just need to replace the thermal fuse inside the resistor pack. It looks like a small diode or resistance and it is attached across two terminals.
You should be able to find it at your local electronic parts supply/surplus store.
IIRC it is rated at 100 /105 deg C (cut-off limit) and should cost $2-$3. Cut the old one out and crimp the new one with provided small rings and using pliers.
I just bought one but I don’t remember the brand / details (maybe NTE ?). If you want I can find out tonight.

I'm more willing to buy a complete replacement just because its plug and play.

Have you tried the dealer? If I remember correctly, they list for less than $10 from them. p/n 55036000 (for your 94)

Most probably, you just need to replace the thermal fuse inside the resistor pack. It looks like a small diode or resistance and it is attached across two terminals.
You should be able to find it at your local electronic parts supply/surplus store.
IIRC it is rated at 100 /105 deg C (cut-off limit) and should cost $2-$3. Cut the old one out and crimp the new one with provided small rings and using pliers.
I just bought one but I don’t remember the brand / details (maybe NTE ?). If you want I can find out tonight.

I may be wrong (it has happened many times before) but he wouldn't have ANY blower if the thermal fuse was blown. He most likely has lost the resistors that provide the various speeds as he still has HIGH.

My fan is now only working on high. Based on the search I did, this means my blower motor resistor is bad, and possibly my blower motor as well.

Blower motor was replaced 4 years ago... is it probably bad again or could I get away with just the resistor?

Also, where should I buy the resistor? Nobody has it in stock local, is there a preferred brand thats better than the rest? Rockauto.com has one for like $7, but all the other ones are around $30. Is the $7 one ok to buy?

For $7 you could buy a handful of them, they aren't hard to change out.

At full speed, the resistor pack (and the thermal fuse) is bypassed.
From what I have seen, it is always the thermal fuse and not the resistance coils that fail.
I simply offered an alternative way to fix it, which should work in most cases.

Back