• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Binding

the onion

NAXJA Forum User
A little background...98 XJ 208k miles 4.5" lift 32's

Heres the problem. When turning it feels like the steering is binding. Theres a shimmy in the wheel when you turn right or left and sorta feels like you are in 4wd.

4wd is disengaged, trac-bar is good, recently done tie rods(all of em) wheel bearings are new, axle u-joints are good and ball joints have no play.

Im confused and its getting a little depressing.

Thanks

Chris

Alignment is good. I just had it done and also readjusted the track bar. Power steering fluid is not low.

When Im pulling out of my street or turning onto another street it feels like its in 4wd. Its not in 4wd(Ive tested that). It still kinda binds when youre at higher speeds yet its a little harder to tell. Also the steering feels looser than it should be. This started happening maybe 3 weeks ago.

I may try to adjust the steering box to see what it gets me. My guesses are the PS pump or the steering box. Thats all Im left with.

take a picture of your steering, what are you running for a trackbar?

Does it do it when you're not moving? If it doesn't that could eliminate some stuff. How about if the tires are jacked up in the air?

take a picture of your steering, what are you running for a trackbar?

Heres a lowdown of what Im running.

Autozone Duralast ZJ upgrade tierods, brand new tie rod from pitman arm, stock pitman arm, Rusty's SS, Rusty's HD adjustable trackbar/mount.

Like I said this just started maybe 3 weeks ago. I replaced the pitman arm tie rod and it got worse. Aligned it and it stayed the same(alignment was good the steering wheel was off)

When Im not moving the steering wheel is a little loose. But thats been the same for the amount of time Ive owned the rig. I havent tried anything with the wheels off the ground except to see if the ball joints/wheel bearings/tie rods had play.

Well Im out there right now...Im going to adjust the box and report back. Ill try to find a camera(i think theres a p&s in the center console) and take a pic of the steering.

Alright I adjusted the steering box and that didnt fix it. I looked outside the window while slowly driving on my street steering wheel all the way to left and right and couldnt see anything odd. Its noticeable when you are driving and not trying to test it.

If you turn and let the wheel correct itself its very noticeable and the wheel kinda jerks itself into position..

and heres a crappy pic of my steering. the screen on the camera is scratched and dull so its not the best pic.

4621753061_54a94e0c33_b.jpg

You need one or both axle shaft u-joints replaced. They are binding and releasing as they rotate, causing the shimmy in the steering wheel.

Back