• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Bolt Torque

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have been searching for a long time and even called Warn, without success. they said they do not have a published torque spec for the four main mounting bolts on my m8000. normally, i wouldn't be that worried but i stripped them out last time (bad habbit i know) and figure i should do it right this time. i could only find grade 5 square nuts at the hardware store and i need square nuts because two of them are not accessible to put a wrench on. bolts are grade 8, 3/8 coarse thread. couldn't find fine threaded square nuts either. looks like some people have read 32-35 ft.-lbs. i think the last time i stripped them out they were around 55-75 ft.lbs. any input would be helpful! i don't want to come close to stripping them again and have my winch pull off the bumper...
Thanks

so does everyone just crank on them? somebody must have a ballpark figure for torque specs... i'm thinking about 35 ft-lbs...

i use german tq when no tq is specified....guten tight:D

put a lockwasher on them and torque to around 35-45ft lbs. go with what you feel comfortable with. glad to see another Mainiac on here...

Suggested tightening torque for 3/8" fastners:
Grade 5 ~30ft-lb
Grade 8 ~45ft-lb
High Strength Alloy (Socket Head Cap Screw) ~60ft-lb

You are going to be limited by the Grade 5 nuts, so aim for 30-35. The other option is to clearance your bumper for a true hex nut or, if you have to, grind a small flat spot on a Grade 8 nut.

Do you remember what bolt on a blackhawk gets the highest torque? I say it's the larger forward bridge bolt. Something like 220 foot pounds?

yea something like that......

do you remember where the left handed threads are?:D

yea something like that......

do you remember where the left handed threads are?:D
Hmmm...... P/C rod jamnuts. Speaking of which, any chance you could send me 2 upper P/C rod jamnuts? I do remember the coupler fittings for the inlet fire suppression nozzles being either 12MM or there's no size that fits right. Except a crescent of course :D When I was like a PFC or something I argued for like an hour with a Sergeant who said you have to disconnect one side of the tail rotor P/C rods to adjust them :gee:

Back