• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Runs rough at restart...code 43 and a CEL

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like this guy had th esame prob with pretty much the same rig, but he never posted back with the outcome/diagnosis/fix.
Mine like his is a 96, 4.0, AW4, NP231,and 151,000 on the clock.

I got 2 43s with the on off on off on OBD.
It's had rough hot restarts for a while but I've been told that's typical, but till noe it's never thrown a code, much less 2 of the same.
Any ideas? I'm thinking 1.coil 2.MAP or 3. injectors (please no...they's pricey lol)
Don't have a multimeter to test so short of taking it to the shop($$$) what can I do to diagnose or fix?

43 represents cyl misfires. Your 96 is OBDII compliant. Go get a real code scanner and pull the specific codes. They will help pinpoint the problem if you're still having it.

1. Buy a DMM (digital multimeter), Harbor Freight around $3 for the cheapos (even less on sale) or $20 for one with an audible continuity tester--a lot cheaper than a single hour of shop labor.

2. Take your XJ to one of the chain part stores and get the codes read for free.

3. Post back what you find out on the codes.

Back