• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JK "D44"

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Just thought I would mention, in case anyone was wondering. The JK D47 has 3" tubes. That was something I never came across in everything I've read about it. I'm thinkin' new tubes, 3x2, too much? :dunno:
DSCF0226.jpg

P.S. The housing is straight, optical illusion from being too close.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, no problem. I had to do my research on these because i helped buddy swap the Mopar Crate Rubicon 44s under his TJ. Great axles, but I'd prefer the J8 front 44 or the ProRock44, they are the only ones that will accept an existing Detroit or ARB otherwise you are stuck with the Mopar unit=$$$

Yeah, I have the Mopar unit. Dealer wants almost $1,000 for those things, ridiculous. I hate trusses, but .25 ain't gonna cut it. Those tubes are gonna have to go. Don't really want to sleeve it at 3.15", unless I go inner.

main.php

main.php

Last edited:
P.S. I know the tube snapping was due to a manufacturing flaw in the '07 model year. Just thought I'd add it for dramatic effect...................:D

I remember reading some aobut that but never heard if it was resolved or not. Good to know it was 07 specific and they fixed it.

Lol, no problem. I had to do my research on these because i helped buddy swap the Mopar Crate Rubicon 44s under his TJ. Great axles, but I'd prefer the J8 front 44 or the ProRock44, they are the only ones that will accept an existing Detroit or ARB otherwise you are stuck with the Mopar unit=$$$
Was that the TJ 44 or the JK 44?

I thought the JK 44 was real deal and would take off-the-shelf D44 parts

jk rubicon d44s suck donkey balls.

my buddy wheels his and has gone through 5 elockers....they dont make aftermarket lockers for them because of the different carrier design as well as the spline count. we have had to gusset the hell out of his front housing and have replaced his rear d44 with a hpd60 with an arb and chromo shafts.

they are not worth the money imho.

Was that the TJ 44 or the JK 44?

I thought the JK 44 was real deal and would take off-the-shelf D44 parts

He got JK 44s and put them under his TJ. The Rubicon axles are limited to Mopar differentials, But if you pick up a rear 44 out of a X, Sport, or Sahara, that will accept an existing Dana 44 differential(Detroit/ARB), but still uses the new, beefier gears. Same with the JK Dana 30, and the Milspec 44 front thats in the J8.

If it wasn't so damned expensive, I'd do a J8 Front axle, and pick up a non-Rubicon JK 44 rear with a super 44 kit(33 spline). All the benefits, none of the down falls.

You still need "thick" gears if i remember correctly

No, the JK gears are unique, there is no "thick cut" gears. Even the Dana 30 was revised to use a larger pinion shaft.

Yeah, I have the Mopar unit. Dealer wants almost $1,000 for those things, ridiculous. I hate trusses, but .25 ain't gonna cut it. Those tubes are gonna have to go. Don't really want to sleeve it at 3.15", unless I go inner.

main.php

main.php

The rear 44 appears to be strong enough, and even then I am going to truss mine.

All the bending / cracking problems are with the front 44's. The cracked tubes I believe were most common with the '07 ones when they first came out. But they are all prone to bending, primarily because they still just use 2.5" diameter tubes. So, yes the fronts need to be sleeved (inner and/or outer), trussed, or re-tubed. Also the factory inner C's are weak and need to be gussetted (sp?) as well.

Right, Eric. I know Tera Flex and one other make some pre fab gussets for the Cs. I figure for going into an XJ, since you are torching off all of the brackets anyways, might as well just retube tube. Should be enough material to bore out and go 3"ish to match the rear....:dunno:

Well hell, if it wasn't so damned expensive, I'd just buy Rock Jock 60s............:D

What are you talking about? If it wasn't so damned expencive I'd gust buy Currie F9 housings F/R with the "back braces", Spyder9 Pro Series 60 Knuckles, RCVs, Ballistic Full Float Axle Rotating End Assemblys, 300M shafts, and Mega Hi-9s!:greensmok

Back