• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's or 35's opinions please...

locrwl

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here's the deal. I'm on 33's right now with stock gears and I have ZERO issues on the road. I drive like an old man, hardly hit the highway and when I do I can go 70mph just fine and dont want to go any faster.

My question is, how much bigger will 35's "feel" than my 33's? I'm about to buy some KM2s and noticed the price between the 33's and the 35's are about nothing. So, why not go for the 35's? I almost never go offroad mostly because I just dont get the chance to. I will if I can but since this is my dd it wont be too crazy. I'll upgrade to an 8.8 and regear eventually but for now would the 35's be so bad?

Let me know what you guys think.

oh, I searched the forum thinking this was a common question but didnt really find what I was looking for. I saw the "math" charts but like I said I'm fine on 33's and will regear eventually...just looking for your thoughts

Thanks

I understand you are going to regear in the future, but in the meantime 3.55's are a bit weak for 35's so it would slow you down some. Since it rarely sees dirt/rock I would stay on 33's unless it is a show rig and you are going for the look. Besides ZERO issues is a good thing, next thing you know you have a handful of issues.:banghead: Good luck with your choice!
my .02

35's definitely feel larger than you think they will. They're heavier which creates more rolling resistance so both accelerating and braking will be affected.

35's will wear every part of your Jeep faster than 33's will due to the additional stresses that will be sent through the drive train and body.

Since you don't plan on wheeling very much I would purchase the 33's. 35's are an extremely good way of causing drive train and body damage on the trail (especially if you like the skinny pedal and seriously, who doesn't).

If you plan on keeping your Jeep your daily driver I would throw some gears in it. They seem a little overwhelming to do or have done but they are well worth it.

I've been battling this same issue. I take my Jeep up to Rausch Creek usually once a month during the summer months. However for me I am going to be holding out on 35's at this moment as much as I hate to due to the fact that I don't have the resources to invest money into my axles with upgraded shafts ex. Being Locked upfront will get me further then just being on 35's will anyday.

i ran 33's with 3.55's for a your it sucked, theres no way that its just fine, i also ran 35's on same gears for a day, it was a joke

id stay stick with the three three's

I love that everyone gave this guy advice with out asking what size lift? axles? year? tranny?and engine?

Im running 33s on 3.55s but I have a 5 speed. but its hardly any difference between 3.07 and 3.55. and I wheel the thing, and I like to think I wheel it moderately hard. blue blacks and RC and i daily drive it, and I have no real Issues.

so I don,t think its too crazy to say that he has no problems.

that being said your probably better off staying on 33's

I love that everyone gave this guy advice with out asking what size lift? axles? year? tranny?and engine?

Im running 33s on 3.55s but I have a 5 speed. but its hardly any difference between 3.07 and 3.55. and I wheel the thing, and I like to think I wheel it moderately hard. blue blacks and RC and i daily drive it, and I have no real Issues.

Im gonna guess he has a 6cyl auto, with 91+ H.O. motor, because Im crazy telepathic like that. Anyway I ran the 3.55's with 31's on the 5sp for a while and I thought it was balls, ok on the street,.. alot of, on and off the clutch off road. Anyway 3.55's will be donkey balls with 35's, if all you do is ride a few miles here and there, and no highway I guess you could live with it. Like others said your just opening yourself up to other issues you havent thought about possibly, like the strength of your other components etc.

I want to go faster than 70 but with the gearing Im just wasting gas at that point to speed. I think 4.56 is a great all around gearing for a auto trans & 33's, IMO its a little deep on the street with the stick shift but I would not go back.

I'm running 35 BFG MT's on my MJ with a 5 speed and 4.10's. It's not the worst thing in the world but 5th gear doesn't get used to much unless i'm going down hill. 35's and 3.55s are going to suck. Unless you plan to regear I would stick with the 33's but it really sounds like you want the 35's so who are we to tell ya what to do.... give it hell

I ran 35s on stock gears for about three months. It sucked bad. I went to 4.56s and it still sucks. No way I would ever do it again given the choice.

I'd stay with 33's. There is almost nothing that 35's can do that 33's cannot and 33's will leave you with more torque for a given gear ratio. The real step is getting up to 37's.

An XJ on 33's is a near perfect match, IMO. They should have come from the factory that way. 35's will increase your problems and overall cost dramatically. Gears, axles, steering, brakes, and lift must all be upgraded.

By the way, the BFG KM2 33x10.50x15's are on national backorder, so you'll want to find something in a 12.50 width if you are planning to buy right away.

Right now im running 33's and 3.55'sa nd dont have any problems. I was running 32's and the jump I really dident feel any difference, I lost a little power and when I hit hills it downs shifts pretty quick, but besides that I dont have a problem. Ide say stay with 33's. What everyone else has said, 35's cause alot of problems that why I dident jump to 35's bc I dident want to start replacing everything under the jeep.

Sorry, I thought it was in my signature. Now I realize either I dont have enough posts to do a signature or I'm even more stupid than my ex thought I was...

I have a '00 Sport with the 4.0 (duh) auto, 5.5" R.E. Super Flex. The axles are stock and so is the gearing (3.55), I think I said that in the original post, maybe not.

I appreciate all of the opinions.

Back