• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition sequence, 12 and 55 on mileage

4WDlifeform

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. Accidentally stumbled upon this... I have to "prime" my vehicle for cold starts, includes turning the key to ON then OFF. Repeat that 2 more times usually.

My CEL came on the other night while driving. Havent got it scanned yet. The start after the CEL came on, I did the prime, but I waited a few more seconds before cranking, and my CEL started blinking, and the mileage read-out went blank, displayed 12 then went out. then displayed 55 then went out, then the mileage came back on. Any one know what this means?

My friend said I probably hit some ignition sequence that made it display the fault codes for the CEL being on. I looked up 1255, and couldn't find anything relevant. Im about to head to Autozone for a scan. Im assuming O2 exhaust sensor, as that has tripped the CEL before. Ill post back. Thanks.

My friend said I probably hit some ignition sequence that made it display the fault codes for the CEL being on. I looked up 1255, and couldn't find anything relevant. Im about to head to Autozone for a scan. Im assuming O2 exhaust sensor, as that has tripped the CEL before. Ill post back. Thanks.

That's what you did. You got 2 codes. 12 & 55. 12 means you've disconnected your battery recently (like within the last 50 start cycles). 55 means end of codes. Any real issues would typically display other codes in between these 2.

I need to make a correction. Just tried this again, and got 12, 21, 55. Where can I find the meaning of these numbers?

Also, just scanned OBD2. its an O2 sensor on the intake I guess? I forget the code, I think it was something like P0231... looking into it now.

The "key click" codes are remnants from pre-'96 OBDI and are not as accurate as pulling OBDII codes using a real scanner.

P0231 means Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Low. So you either have recalled the wrong code or the issue has nothing to do with your O2 sensor. Go back, pull the code with a proper scanner and post.

The "key click" codes are remnants from pre-'96 OBDI and are not as accurate as pulling OBDII codes using a real scanner.

P0231 means Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit Low. So you either have recalled the wrong code or the issue has nothing to do with your O2 sensor. Go back, pull the code with a proper scanner and post.

P0231 is not my code, that is my fault again... I do not recall the P-code, but I was certain that the scanner said 02 sensor on intake. Im going to try to locate the sensor, and see if cleaning it helps any.

Back