• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auxiliary fan question

Khary23

NAXJA Forum User
I don't think my auxiliary fan is working properly. It will turn on for about a second and a half then turn off, then on again, it does this for awhile then turns off completely. I thought that once it turned on it should stay on until the engine temp had dropped.

Two ways to activate the aux fan--temperature and a/c running. Is your a/c cycling on and off?

Two ways to activate the aux fan--temperature and a/c running. Is your a/c cycling on and off?

That would be my first guess. Though the turning off completely part kind of threw me off...

A/C cycles on and off. The fan does its weird on off thing whether the A/C is on or off

You didn't post the year, etc., but my guess would be a failing a/c relay.

In defrost mode the electric fan will cycle on and off quite frequently too.

Swap it with a known good working one.

I'd try the Cooling Fan relay first, and the AC Clutch relay second. Should be labelled on the PDC cover. Don't think there's a "blower motor relay", at least not on my 97.

In defrost mode the electric fan will cycle on and off quite frequently too.

Yep, that because in defrost mode the a/c compressor runs to dry the air in the cabin.

I'd try the Cooling Fan relay first, and the AC Clutch relay second. Should be labelled on the PDC cover. Don't think there's a "blower motor relay", at least not on my 97.

I'll check that thanks.
According to the FSM there is a blower motor relay

The Blower Motor Relay is located behind the glove box on a 97+. It only operates the blower that circulates air throughout the cabin and should have no effect on your radiator fan.

It was already mentioned, but are you sure you didn't have the HVAC selector knob in one of the defrost positions when you were testing it with the A/C off? Try turning the knob all the way to the off position (little circle icon) to completely take the HVAC system out of the equation. The fan should then only come on at about 218* and shut of at about 209*.

It was already mentioned, but are you sure you didn't have the HVAC selector knob in one of the defrost positions when you were testing it with the A/C off?

The fan should then only come on at about 218* and shut of at about 209*.

Positive

The fan comes on with the A/C but will shut off after awhile and not come back on with A/C off or on. The temp will also rise over 220* and still nothing.

Back