• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Battery Cables

tcpoland

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I own a 98xj and am going to be doing some electrical work... Im trying to find new cables but I cant afford to blow 180 on the chrysler parts. Anyone have any good ideas?

spending $180 on battery cables is quite retarded!

my local autoparts store carries eye-to-eye, larger gauge wires that i like, combined with brass 'marine' terminals' with a stud and wingnut.

like this,

i know the leads coming off the front of the neg terminal are hokey, theyve been changed.

Last edited:
yep, i did the same thing. all told i think it cost me about $35 and it has worked great so far. just measure your cables, buy the right length heavy gauge cable with a couple of marine terminals and your done. alternatively i believe a guy named 5-90 here on the board sells(or used to) heavy duty custom made cables. either way your looking at way less that $180(that's ridiculous).

5-90 has an excellent product with lots of upgrade options.
If you ever decide to upgrade to a high output alternator,
you'll be glad you upgraded to these cable first.

thick, but not 'ima redneck, so ima put wiring meant for power stations' thick

a lot of people like welding wire, its really flexible/cheap if your crimping youre own ends.
personally, i only run a bunch of lights, no winch or refridgerator, so whatever the parts store sells is good for me!

Another vote for 5-90 's cables. You can get as many or as few as you want. Definitely upgrade the main 4 cables, and depending on where you want to go, decide whether you need more than that. But he has it all.

Another vote for 5-90 and his cables!! I have not needed new cables yet but when I do....... :thumbup:

thick, but not 'ima redneck, so ima put wiring meant for power stations' thick

a lot of people like welding wire, its really flexible/cheap if your crimping youre own ends.
personally, i only run a bunch of lights, no winch or refridgerator, so whatever the parts store sells is good for me!
X2. I think I'm using 4ga or 2ga on the project I'm building right now... forget which.

If I wasn't capable of building my own cables (yay for heavy-gauge hydraulic wire terminal crimpers!) I'd go for 5-90's setup in a second.

:thumbup: 5-90 :thumbup:

I have 5-90's. Not the cheapest, but far exceeds anything else I have found. Who would think anyone would compliment battery cables, but it happens every time I open the hood around other Jeepers. I've been running them a couple years now with no trouble.

I must be retarded but I will be getting 5-90's cables when I get the money for electrical upgrades. :D

Back