• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankshaft Bearing race is this ok??

chedisme

NAXJA Member
so Im doing my oilpan gasket again an I figured Id run this by the experts here.

this is my rear crank bearing race. (the little half circle thing that goes between the cap and the bearing) and it has a grove cut in it. the grove is not that deep but I can catch my fingernail on it.

here are some pics
CIMG5547.jpg

CIMG5546.jpg

CIMG5544.jpg

the the surface it mates to on the crank looks and feels smooth, but I can only see one side of it. is there some way I can turn the crank by hand so to inspect the other side?

for details on my rig look at my sig. ha that rhymes.
its got 115000 mi on it.

thanks in advance.

ok so never mind about turning the crank I figured that out.

here are some pics of the crank side
CIMG5552.jpg

you can see the markings on the bearing.
and the step in the surface the rear main seal contacts.
again is this ok.

heres another pic but with the flash
CIMG5549.jpg

in this pic you can see a small bur whre the RMS contacts. its just past where it starts to get too dark to see.

I should add that Im doing all this to stop a major oil leak at the rear of my oil pan. I already did the double lip RMS.

I think its about 15-25. it changes because of how much oil I was losing. when the oil got low it would be less and I would add oil.

but to clarify it was like this before I did the RMS.

have you owned this jeep since new? id say someone didnt change it to often but you should be all set to go. that is normal wear from what ive seen in the 50 or so ive torn down. id keep up on the oil changes and run it like i stole it. just make sure its torqued down right to spec and you most likely will never have a problem. :greensmok

Im the 3rd owner. so tha's a possibility.made sure everything was torqued to spec.
going to start driving it again tomorrow. it normally takes about a week to start leaking. fingers crossed.

have you owned this jeep since new? id say someone didnt change it to often but you should be all set to go. that is normal wear from what ive seen in the 50 or so ive torn down. id keep up on the oil changes and run it like i stole it. just make sure its torqued down right to spec and you most likely will never have a problem. :greensmok

yea it still leaks. not as much as it did. but for only one day its already too much. hopefully its just residual oil that I couldn't clean off that is dripping off. fingers crossed.

A little scored but you have a looong way to go! I would say your engine is almost broken in, you have about 100-150k well maintained miles before that bearing is a issue.

Back