• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did something stupid....bye bye spiders

XJRN

NAXJA Forum User
So I get stuck....I was like, "pull me out." My friend says, "you got it, just give it some gas and turn the wheel." So I do. Accellerator get stuck somehow. I panic...I throw it neutral....it revs to the moon....I panic...and then out of shear stupidity and instinct.....yes, here it comes....throw it back in gear. :explosion

So far this looks like the carnage. Some advice would be helpful.
-spiders exploded
-both front u-joint almost completely gone (could have already been that way I guess)
-new leak from front main on tranny (at least it looks like atf)

I have the d30 and run 31's but will be moving up to 33's. I figured since the spiders are gone, I would just throw in an Aussie Locker and call it good and some spicer u-joints. While I have this apart, anyone recommend me do anything with the axle shafts?

And about that leak, anyone know if this could be related? It was very aparent right after wheeling, but on the drive home it seems to have resolved. What could cause that? Should I go ahead and pull the tranny to fix the seal or just wait and see what happens?

Thanks!

I'll give ya a dollar for the KM2's! :D That was definitely a bonehead move dude!

chances are the carrier in the frt axle is also junk, pull it all apart and check it closely, also check the splines on the axle shafts and the ears of the shafts where the ujoints go, id keep a slose eye on the seal for a week if dosnt leak you may be ok if it does then time to change it, if it was me id pull the trans and replace it to be safe

Oh yeah and you can turn the Key off in neutral and it would have stopped! You almost got the toyota treatment, good thing you were stuck! :D

For the leak, it may have been since you where stuck, but were running high RPMs, the tranny might have spit some ATF through the front seal or out of the torque converter... Keep an eye on it if it still leaks... You didn't by chance hit your cruise control did you??? :wierd: That can cause extreme RPMs in neutral....

For the leak, it may have been since you where stuck, but were running high RPMs, the tranny might have spit some ATF through the front seal or out of the torque converter... Keep an eye on it if it still leaks... You didn't by chance hit your cruise control did you??? :wierd: That can cause extreme RPMs in neutral....

maybe it's certain years, but on my '97, if I shift to N the cruise let's go and I just coast... back into D I have to "set" cruise again.

if the OP was in mud, and spinnin, could be some mud got into the throttle cable, or linkage and stuck it WOT... odd, but could happen.

if you haven't already sunk money into the axle, it could be a good time to re-gear a junkyard axle (or luck into one geared to 4.10 maybe) look in the "for sales" or pull this one apart for a good inspection and regear it with a detroit, or just a lunchbox even.

plenty of options for the axle, but I'd still want to find out why it stuck wide open like it did, otherwise any money you toss at the axle could be lost next time that happens.

chances are the carrier in the frt axle is also junk, pull it all apart and check it closely, also check the splines on the axle shafts and the ears of the shafts where the ujoints go, id keep a slose eye on the seal for a week if dosnt leak you may be ok if it does then time to change it, if it was me id pull the trans and replace it to be safe

How can I tell if the carrier is bad. It APPEARS to be ok, but is there something specific I should look for?

Here is some stupidity.

How to do a wheelie in a CJ5

Step 1..Put it in 4lo
Step 2. Wind up a healthy 304 like an 8 day clock
Step 3. Drop the clutch.
Step 4. Watch you buddies jaws hit the ground as the sound of the spiders let go.
Step 5. Beg for a tow back to the trail head.

The Ford axles will be the best. The Chevy Dana 44 is passenger side drop, you will have to change your transfer case.

In my opinion, you will be time and money ahead to just rebuild what you have. Oh, and knock off the high RPM neutral drops!

Thanks for the advice. That is what I was leaning towards, but I just hope what I can see is all of the problems. How can I tell if the axle shafts too much of a beating?

Should I be concerned about the rear/tcase/transmission even though nothing obvious let loose?

Start with what you know is broken. If you are lucky, the axle breakage took the most of it.

As far as the shafts go, if there is ANY twisting of the splines, toss'em. If not, carry on, they are likely ok.

If I were in the market for 4340 Dana 30 shafts, I would look closely at 10 Factory.

If you are serious about an axle swap, you must ask yourself a few VERY important questions.

1. What do you want to do with your XJ?

Splash around in the mud, trail riding, drive it to work on Monday. Stock axles are fine for 31" to 32" tires. Big rock crawling with up to 35" tires, again, perfectly fine with modified stock axles.

2. Can you do the swap yourself?

There is no way to bolt on a set of Dana 60s. You will need lots of tools, welders and such.

3. Can I afford the time and money?

Even more so if you must pay a shop to do the swap.

Spend some time searching around here, and Pirate.

Hope I helped.

If you are serious about an axle swap, you must ask yourself a few VERY important questions.

Splash around in the mud, trail riding, drive it to work on Monday. Stock axles are fine for 31" to 32" tires. Big rock crawling with up to 35" tires, again, perfectly fine with modified stock axles.

There is no way to bolt on a set of Dana 60s. You will need lots of tools, welders and such.

Even more so if you must pay a shop to do the swap.

Spend some time searching around here, and Pirate.

Hope I helped.
if he has to ask about a 60 or 44 swap then hes no where near ready for them, lik eits been posted before, run what you got

Get shafts that can take the 760 spicers joints and grind it out for full circle clips or tack the caps in place

Get shafts that can take the 760 spicers joints and grind it out for full circle clips or tack the caps in place

Is there a write up on this somewhere......nevermind, I guess I can search. Thanks for the suggestion

hey man i just swapped full width axles under my jeep.

i ran a 44 out back a 30 up front both locked. on 35s. if you ruin an open dana 30 it will do great on 35s locking it is pushing it. the XJ 44 will take this beating. its ALOT easier too put these in than the GIANT ASS PAINS of a 1 ton swap.

just my .02

This is now a dedicated trail rig that I am building and will be running 33's soon, and bigger as money and time permits. I don't have a haul rig though, so it has to take me to and from the trail. Not a LOT of rocks around here, but there are some. Lots of hill climbs. Hate mud.

I haven't welded much at all, but do have access to welders and would like to learn. A good friend owns his own shop so he is always willing to lend a hand. Other than welding, and setting up gears, I can handle the normal stuff r/t to pulling them out and putting in the new.

Cheaper is definately better, but since I have a reason to fix it, would like to fix it better than it was...no sense to waste money on something just to upgrade later

Hope I helped.

Yes you did. Thanks

if he has to ask about a 60 or 44 swap then hes no where near ready for them, lik eits been posted before, run what you got

Maybe true, but why buy new then upgrade soon when I am "ready?" I am sure you had to learn what were the best options out there before you built your rig...

Back