• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do with Gas tanks when no roof rack?

Magus2727

NAXJA Forum User
I have a trip at the end of the month that I will need 2-3 5 gallon containers of gasoline for the 4 day trip. I do not have a roof rack but I do have the rails with the two cross braces. where or how have people mounted or stored their full containers of Gas when going on a long outing?

I am thinking of moving the slats so it some what sandwiches the containers and then running bungee cords or some sort of tie downs going through the handle and such.

Thanks for any help!

Or a sturdy hitch type rack that can support a decent amount of weight.

Do you think a set of 2x4's across the runners on the top would work? I just dont have the $$ for a hitch type mount... I have a set of 4 tires and an alignment that is taking any extra money before the trip.

The 2x4's would get the weight off the roof it self and along the roof carrier runners...

it may be a little to much weight... a gallon is about 5-6 lbs... so 15 would be 75 Lb's up top....

Why shouldn't he just strap them between the rack crossbars? Too much weight?

1. Spillage.

2. Gas (depending on conditions) 8.66 pounds per gallon. that would be about 43.4 pounds per can, and then add in the weight of the can--maximum offroad weight capacity factory roofrack 150 lbs--with the weight properly spread out.

Wouldn't use JB weld for that...

Putting them on the roof and strapping them down will collapse your roof and make it look like hell. The roof of the XJ is pretty bouncy, it's about midway between a soup can and a license plate in thickness and only has a smallish support crossbar every few feet.

2x4s could work, but I would use some sort of hitch mounted rack or put them in the trunk.

womanwithgascans.jpg

works for sandwich too

if you have the mount bases, you could temporarily mount them to the bumper. when you get home, take them off. only have a couple holes in bumper when done.
(cheap way)

otherwise, recommend you get that hitch mount and put them there

These are really getting popular.They come in all sizes and shapes,they are modular and can be easily mounted in all kinds of configurations.
RRX400D.jpg

jeeps.jpg

storage.jpg

Back