• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start After Cruise Install

nmcommando

NAXJA Forum User
Ok well I bought a cruise system a while back off another xj and installed it into mine just today. (Not sure what year it was off of but is was post 97 and mine is a 97 six cylinder, 5-speed) I disconnected the battery and did everything according to how to write up on here said. But after install the airbag light came on and the cruise light wouldn't so I thought that the clockspring must have been done wrong. I took the batter off for thirty minutes again and I took it all apart and realized that the clock spring plugs had come undone somehow. I plugged them back in and reassembled everything again. At that point I reconnected the battery and tried to start the jeep. The lights came on and everything then when I went to crank it everything went dead after a click. I checked all fuses and nothing is blown. Does anyone know what might have happened or had this happen to them? Also what else might I check or is there a fuse I might have missed? Thanks

Ok well I might have a break through but I dont know what it means. I noticed that my cigarette lighter works with the doors closed and charges my phone but as soon as the door opens it quits working. I also noticed that if I turn the key the brake light on the instrument cluster barely lights but still nothing to make it start.

honestly, it sounds like a bad battery, or a bad connection with one of the cables. do the headlights work? what happens when you turn the headlights on and try to crank it?

The headlights don't work. I cleaned the cables when I had them off. They are tight and the ground is good. The battery started the jeep just fine right before that just the airbag light was on which meant I didn't do the clockspring right so I fixed that. But when I hooked the battery back up and got in I turned the key and all the gauges and everything came on like it's supposed to but when I pushed the clutch in and turned the key to start it I just heard a click and everything went dead. Now when I get in the cigarette lighter works with the key not turned but as soon as I turn the key it dies. This morning I went out to look at it and the fuse box made a sound like a fan turning and the gauges almost worked but then nothing yet again. Does that help anyone? And I know you can't really say what it is without being here but I just need a place to look I am not good with electrical.

Back