• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NW Leaf Spring Life?

GlueNTape

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to get some advise from everyone up in the NWC about how long their leaf springs have lasted.

I installed the FullTraction traction kit last June. I have wheeled it long and hard. I also Park in a slanted driveway, so its always sitting pointed up hill. I love the FT kit. Has preformed great.

I have added a lot of weight to my rig the last couple months. Cage, Rockers.

I also have a winch, rear tire carrier.

I noticed at Noob fest, I was really sagging in the back. Granted I was very loaded down. I had a full cooler, all my recovery gear, and some parts and tools in the back. In some of the pictures, you can see that there is only a couple inches from my tire to the rear fender.

My rear leaves ride great. They Flex Great. I am just concerned I may be stacking to much weight on them. Not Sure.

I figure I would ask those of you that have wheeled for years, how long you usually keep the same leaves? I would think they would last a couple years. Perhaps I am expecting to much. We all wheel in the same trail/obstacle types.

I noticed that aswell. is it sagging or leaning? mine had a sag issue after i got my RC leafs, i swapped sides and it rides even again.

a full on sag issue due to weight, could possibly be fixed with a full length Add a leaf.

Gangster lean is normal, the right side of XJs gets more torque than the left IIRC. Oddly enough, my Jeep leans to the left though (I swapped the springs and such over though).

Regardless, sag will happen depending on the quality of your leafs, what you haul, and your overall set-up. If it's a problem, adding another leaf from a stock XJ pack (the main leaf with the ends cut normally) will help. Playing around with the leaf pack themselves is your best remedy. Personally, I just ignore it. As long as my leafs aren't making a "W" shape, or totally flat (still have a curve) then I'm not concerned.

~Scott

Don't let two fat bastards sit in your back seat and they'll last longer. ;) I would think anything less than 2-3 years indicates either a poor quality pack or you get a lot of spring-wrap and they're wearing prematurely.

I have a pretty significant lean to the right rear corner (about an inch). I blame it mainly on the "torque twist," since I can feel that corner suck down on acceleration. Maybe it's also a little bit axle wrap related, who knows.

I added a leaf from a stock pack a few weeks back to try and boost the corner up, and add some stiffness to the passenger side pack. Unfortunately all it did was lift the corner the thickness of the leaf (1/4"?). I might try and add a little longer leaf in, but at this point it doesn't really bother me.

My leafs are RE brand, and are a little over 2yrs old with 25K on them. I'm usually pretty loaded down when on the trail, but for daily driving I have carry nothing.

I have a pretty significant lean to the right rear corner (about an inch). I blame it mainly on the "torque twist," since I can feel that corner suck down on acceleration. Maybe it's also a little bit axle wrap related, who knows.

This is very similar to what I am seeing. On the Noob run I did have more weight than I have ever carried. A lot of it was on the right side.

Once I get all the flooring and seats back in I will check into it more.

Weight will kill the life in a XJ spring. I would guess that you are carrying MUCH more weight than they are designed for.

Plus you drive it daily? correct?

If it were me, I would weight the back end of the Jeep only and get a set of custom springs made for the back end.

You can add other leafs out of other packs and it might help provide some support but once you have taken the "lift" out of them they are never going to "perform" like they did originally.

I have been through 3 or 4 sets of rear springs on my Jeep (it is heavy also) and I have now gone to a "bastard pack" of warn out lift springs that together work acceptably to me.

Michael

I bought a set of used RE 4.5" springs in decent shape and they didn't last the year. It turns out that bump stops are very important to keep from inverting the leaf pack, which I believe is why I blew through the first pack so quick.

My current setup is a full 4.5" RE pack with the eyes cut off, attached to a Dodge Van main-leaf and RE boomerang shackles. It's a little stiff but I don't have anymore axle wrap issues.

Back