• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Powder Coat or to Rattle Can

stroked88

NAXJA Forum User
So Ive been working on building front and rear bumpers for my Jeep over the last couple of weeks, and I have had trouble deciding on whether or not I should powdercoat them or just rattle can. I was leaning toward the rattle can for the simple touch up but then again the powdercoat seems more durable, and thought I would consult you guys and see what your experiences and opinions are. For your Viewing Pleasure
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/iglskateboarder2/jeeppics024.jpg
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/iglskateboarder2/jeeppics023.jpg
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/iglskateboarder2/jeeppics025.jpg
http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv341/iglskateboarder2/jeeppics022.jpg

i wrinkle painted my bumpers. it gives a nice even texture that looks like bed liner but alot more even and not so rough and conveniently in a spray can. just follow the directions and it comes out perfect. ive touched it up multiple time and youd never know. it comes in all types of colors too

Powdercoat.

P1011835.jpg

Powder coat will be nice in the beginning, but drag it across a rock or two, and the powder coat will chip and crack then it goes to hell. Rattle can it if you plan to use it

Both rattle canned:
DSC02169.jpg

P3010473.jpg

Powder coat will be nice in the beginning, but drag it across a rock or two, and the powder coat will chip and crack then it goes to hell. Rattle can it if you plan to use it

Both rattle canned:
DSC02169.jpg

P3010473.jpg

This!

I rattle canned my bumpers, The front one turned out great but I was using higher quality spray paint. I used rustoleum on the rear one because the auto paint supply was closed. IT turned out ok but its kinda blotchy with a few runs.

Frontbumper.jpg

rearbumper.jpg

Lol, I guess it should be known, that I am dangerous with a rattle can though

Rattle canned and yes, it looked just as good in person from every angle(until I got T-boned):
100_1600.jpg

your jeep is fricken amazing!

Was nice til it got creamed! I don't think it stops him from wheeling the hell out of it.

prolly still is nice on one side :yelclap:

Go with the paint.
If you want to do any welding to them later, powder causes contamination problems. Getting it all cleaned off is a PAIN.
When(not if)you damage the powder, corrosion will start under the powder and just keep going.

Was nice til it got creamed! I don't think it stops him from wheeling the hell out of it.

You are right about that, threw some frame stiffeners on it and proceeded to beat on it. Nice thing about that kind of body damnage, I don't feel so bad about body damage now. Anything short of a flop, roll, or busting out a window, isn't really going to compare.

prolly still is nice on one side :yelclap:
Lol, not any more I've rubbed up against a few trees since that pic was taken.

I can't get on to Photobucket on a DOD computer, but I'll post up some more recent pics when I get home.

ha nice... well i hope to be getting my red letters some time soon, and then maybe i will start a build thread. have quite a few pics to organize though

Powdercoat is not bulletproof, it will chip and allow rust.
I did the front bumper with powdercoat and it was no better protection than paint.

Consider Herculiner, it comes in many colors and coats easily. Much more durable than either rattle can or powdercoat, and not that expensive.

!!!1

i dont care ha i wanted to see pics anyways. did you atleast jack the rear end from the exploder???

i dont care ha i wanted to see pics anyways. did you atleast jack the rear end from the exploder???

Na, I already had a Dana 44 that I had just swapped in with Explorer discs, getting t-boned bent the drivers side axle shaft, so I upgraded to Superior Evolution shafts.

And I JUST got done swapping this in last week:
P2160501.jpg

P3010473.jpg

Dana 44, welded tubes, TNT U-bolt Eliminators, Under Cover Fab truss system, Explorer brakes, EBC Green Stuff pads, Centric Rotors, Rubicon front air locker, swapped over the Superior shafts
:viking:

that my friend, is bad a**

Back