• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Pinion Seal

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
Never messed with this but is starting to leak bad and make a mess under the jeep and on the back hatch. Looks like it could be easy but don't think thats the case. Any info thanks

It is not vert difficult. I replace mine last year. You just need a seal puller, and a seal driver. Or a LARGE socket and a good hammer. My Pinion yoke came off pretty easy. I am not sure how difficult your will be.

It depends on the year?The 2000-01 use a crush sleeve which makes changing the seal a whole lot more difficult!

You said D30, is it really slinging gear oil on the rear hatch or did you mean the rear differential?

Sorry it is a 97 and It is the front Dana 30 it is spittin oil all over the bottom as well as the rear hatch. Stoped by local mech. and quoted me $110 to $120. If he does not have to mess with the crush sleeve. Does the 97 have the sleeve or not.

No crush sleeve... those are only on the low pinion (2000 and 2001) years as noted previously.

mark the nut and shaft so you tighten it back down to the same spot. I used my 3 ton hydraulic jack to break the nut loose and to finish tightening for accuracy.

should take 1-1/8" socket.

Back