• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper tie in problems.

NewJersey-xj

NAXJA Forum User
well i just finished up my rear bumper now i need to figure out how to mount it. the jeep didnt have a bumper on it when i bought it so the only thing im thinking it their are two spots with four threaded holes. is that the only spot they were mounted. i am also tieing it into the hitch mounting spots. any help is greatly appreciated.

this is it fitted on the jeep without it beint tied in just to show ya guys why i wanna get this thing on hahaha

bumper5.jpg

hangs pretty low eh? i think your losing a lot of ground clearance with that bumper.

but i like your train of thought. ive never seen the point of putting a 2x2 receiver in the back of an fancy new XJ bunper if its NOT tied into the hitch mounts. i ONLY tow/pull/yank from my hitch. if the bumper isnt strong enough to tow with i dont see how a bumper with D ring tabs would hold up to the abuse of a hard pull. and ive had some HARD pull. broken quite a few (quality) tow ropes.

the 2x4 hole layout is stock, and is adequate if youre not gonna be towing with it, or being recovered from it.

if you want to make it beefy, you could make two fingers that go into the frame rail (also gotta open that hole up), and accept bolts where the tow hitch nut strip used to take them.

well im actually gaining ground clearence because im getting rid of the original hitch so my departure angle is a little bit better. but yea i guess ill do what you said and tie it in like that. thank you guys very much

You can get nutstrips for the inside of the frame and bolt to those, just like a hitch. I would go all the way to the holes furthest forward, instead of just using the back 4 like all the aftermarket hitches. If you run "fingers" into the frame, you will have a hard time making the treaded holes line up with the holes on the frame

Back