• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ brakes

Easiest upgrade would be to upgrade to better pads and rotors. Depending on the condition of your brake hardware, it may make your XJ stop better, but it won't fix the inherent problems with the XJ's front brakes. Aside from that, there is the WJ upgrade that XCM linked you to or the Vanco upgrade which is easier labor-wise but much tougher on the wallet.

those of you guys running aftermarket pads/rotors, are you actually feeling a real differance? or is it mostly placebo? obviously i think the money is better spent upgrading the entire assembly, but i need new brakes!

I need new front brakes as well. Seems the hot ticket for front XJ/TJ/MJ/ZJ D30 brakes (on many of the other forums anyways) is the EBC yellow pads with Centric (non slotted/non dimpled/non drilled) premium rotors. I think this consensus was pretty much perpetuated by Van due to a post he made regarding all the various pads and rotors he's tried while fine tuning his Jeep Disk Kit.

I'm on the fence about whether to upgrade the whole system or whether to give this pad/rotor combo a try. I'm going to check my caliper sliders for the telltale divots the next chance I get and make my decision from there. If I need to replace my knuckles anyways, I just might take the plunge and try out the Vanco kit. If I cheap out and just get the pads and rotors I should know within a week or two and will report back.

here is my take.

Make sure your front calipers are working right, grease the slide pins, make sure the surface the pads slide on isn't all jacked up and file it smooth if needed. Buy some cheap plain rotors, i've never found a difference in plain jane brake rotors, from autzone's cheap value craft ones to brembo's.... Try getting the PFC carbon metallic brake pads(autozone among others sells them). I have found they last a very long time, are easy on rotors, no noise, minimal dust, dont cost THAT much ect ect and they increased the braking my jeep had compared to whatever the previous owner had.

also DONT FORGET TO MAKE SURE YOUR BACK BRAKES ARE WORKING RIGHT!!!! this is very important to proper pedal feel and braking. Follow the FSM and adjust the rear shoes correctly and make sure they rear shoes are not contaminated with brake fluid/gear oil ect ect.

my 98' XJ brakes very well with this setup. And finally, you can replace the soft brake lines, should only cost you around $35 or so total and if they are old they can add the spongey feel to the brakes. SPeaking of which so can old brake fluid. BRake fluid should be changed every two years.

Im running a 2k.. Did the Beststop drilled rotors from Summit and loved them.. BTW dont get the named brand, get the summit brand.. Same thing, bestop box and all.. You NEED semi metallic pads for them to work right..TRied regular Vatozone pads and no worky worky. I yelled stop alot. Had em on another truck also.. Loved them on that too.. Rear swapped to the ZJ disk.. Works GREAT! Next step is 33's and WJ fronts. Might do the bestops in the rear after the WJ setup.. Hmmmmmm.

I have the Vanco brakes with Hydro Boost they work very well! If I were to do it again I would use 98 Ford Explorer calibers and rotors (this is what Vanco uses). Then I would use the Gojeep write up to make my own brackets

Back