• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing OD mileage when swapping gauge cluster

shortbussrydah

NAXJA Forum User
1996 xj 4.0

i want to get a full cluster, but so far i havent been able to find how to change the odometer reading to what mine is at now... do i have to take it in to some place or can i do it my self?

1996 xj 4.0

i want to get a full cluster, but so far i havent been able to find how to change the odometer reading to what mine is at now... do i have to take it in to some place or can i do it my self?

Federal Law, it is illegal to tamper with odometer.
From the original cluster, write the mileage and date on a sticker and put it on your drivers door jamb. It would also be a good idea to write the mileage down from the cluster you are putting in.

Federal Law, it is illegal to tamper with odometer.
Write the mileage and date on a sticker and put it on your drivers door jamb.

this.

Does Cali have yearly state inspections? If so, this is where the mileage issue would come up. Or, if you were to sell the vehicle. Here in PA, mileage is recorded at the yearly Safety Inspection, and also yearly when you renew your registration. The odo, or entire speedo swap shouldn't be too hard.

1996 xj 4.0

You need to contact your local DMV. You will need to sign a statement and take it to a DMV inspector to certify the new odometer reading.

I did that procedure, it added about 80K miles to what the real mileage is.(Put it WAYY over 200K) I just keep the original in the garage in case i want to sell it. Otherwise its an 87, and after about 150K miles, who cares anymore. I suppose unless the new odo has less miles, then i can see that being a problem.

so swapping in the OD from the old one would put me in the slammer?
what if i did both, wrote down the mileage and swapped in the od

No, this will not put you in the slammer. That is why you write the mileage and date on a sticker and put it on the door jamb. There are many out there who will tamper (roll back) the mileage of a car. They go to the slammer if caught.

@TJ Rat:
Why bother with the sticker if the original odometer is still installed and functioning properly?

@shortbus:
It's very easy to swap the odometer/speedo between clusters. Like most things, just go slow so as not to snap any old, brittle plastic bits.

Back