• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-TURN STEERING??????

To me, seeing it only from the pics and not in real life, it looks like there would potentially be some bump steer if the track bar axle mount wasn't moved up. Any time you go over the knuckle with the drag link you'll need to move the track bar mount up to avoid bump steer. The other thing that I see is that the tie rod mounting point on the knuckle is moved inward, which really screws up the Ackerman angle. Now, if you don't care about good Ackerman angle (increased tire scrub on turns) and are willing to live with some bump steer (or move the track bar up) then it looks like a pretty strong setup. I don't like talking about cost, since good products cost money to design and make, and this looks like it's made out of good material.

Making an OTK steering setup that someone can buy and bolt on isn't easy. To do it right, some welding and fabrication work is required, but the parts are readily available for those willing and able to do it.

I also kind of wonder about making that kind of investment and not getting the tie rod higher up for more clearance. I should just make my old D30 OTK inverted Y setup that worked very well and sell it. Would be simple to install, too.

I have been running the U-Turn Steering for 5 years and love it. I am running 7.5” of lift and 35’s. The kit is pure beef and installs with no issues. I put new tie rod end on this winter.
At first I had my track bar in the stock location and only experienced minimal bump steer. I have raised the track bar and now I have no bump steer at all. Yes it does change the Ackerman Angle, the tire will squeal in parking garages, I run Barrel races at the CORVA Halloween Party and the front end will push.
I daily drive my rig, and hit 80 mph often with no issues, I can let go of the wheel and it will track straight.
I am very happy with the set up. I you can afford it and want a steering system that bolt on with no modifications this is the way to go, you will not be disappointed.

99.9% of all steering related issues can be solved with the Currie steering system, and its a direct bolt on. ALl these cross over style and such, just open up other issues such as clearance with swaybar brackets, diff covers, and then you also dont get the droop allowed with a angled tie rod end like the Currie has, unless you drill out the pitman arm, and run a Large hiem with high mis-alignment spacers and such.

If you need more then the Currie system, then IMO you need more then the D30...

I also run the U-turn steering steering system. Let's just say that my steering is no longer a concern for me. I had tried to get by with a cheaper setup before and got tired of steering issues. This system has resolved any issues that I had before.

With the amount of lift that I have, I decided to be safe and install an over-the-axle track bar while I was at it, and I have zero bumpsteer issues. I run this kit without a steering stabilizer as well and have nothing but good results.

It is beefy enough to handle my 35" MTs off road and gentle enough to use on my DD. There are probably different routes I could have taken, but I loved the fact that the steering system itself was completely bolt on.

If you have much lift at all and don't plan on moving your track bar, be prepared for some bump steer. Good luck with your decision.

I forgot to mention that the U-Turn Steering clears the stock Sway Bar Mount and my crane Diff Cover with room to spare. The front will droop until my 12” travel shocks top out with no binding. Oh yea no dead spot at all.

at 650$ is should do 'Other' things for ya too?

I want to get this system. I read the instal post on Jeepin.net. I have 4inch lift with a Superlift Track bar. Would it be worth it to get this system. My stock steering set-up blows right now

I have a Bulletproof crossover steering setup and it was a buttload of work to install, however, it works better than anything else would and I don't regret it at all.

I want to get this system. I read the instal post on Jeepin.net. I have 4inch lift with a Superlift Track bar. Would it be worth it to get this system. My stock steering set-up blows right now
$650 for a steering setup that makes the tierod a rock magnet, awsome!

I have a Bulletproof crossover steering setup and it was a buttload of work to install, however, it works better than anything else would and I don't regret it at all.

x2.

I think UTK is less work the OTK. I run mine UTK and it works well.

I have one on my DD with 4.5 inches of lift. There is just about no bump steer using a TJ pittman arm which is 1 inch shorter than one off of a XJ. When I installed it I didn't have the little bracket to attach the steering stabilizer so I left it off, that was months ago, still don't have one and no complaints. I'm also using a JKS track bar. Their newer drag links are solid, not the hollow DOM that they used to be.

In parking lots I can tell that the ackerman angles are off when making a really tight turn. The tires don't show any abnormal wear yet. At full lock the TRE just hits the stock sway bar mounts.

I have not had a steering stabilizer since I installed the U-Turn kit; I see no need for one.
This kit raises the tie rod about 1.5”, that not high steer but it help. I have a ton of rock scraps in my tie rod but its solid Chrome Moly!

I am with Robertk, my Currie setup worked well for bolt on Dana 30 steering.

Cheaper $ wise by $250, does not change the Ackerman angle, and is plenty beef. I did bend the tie rod a time or two, but it straightend out easy on a press.

If you need more than the Currie, I feel you are outside the realm of the 30 anyway.

Back