• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Swap Questions

Vhenem

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of converting a 88 MJ to 4WD, The MJ is a 4.0, Auto, I have a 91 Cherokee limited as a Donor, 4.0, AW4, NP242 , question is: Can the 91 tranny be dropped into the 88 ?

Yes. Take the transfer case with you, since the output splines are likely different (doesn't hurt to be sure. I think the AW4 changed for 1990/1991, but it may have been 1991/1992.)

You can adapt the shifter linkage, if necessary, with a kit from Novak. I've heard good reports about their tcase shifter linkage kit.

But, the bellhousing pattern is the same, and the AW4 didn't change (electrically or mechanically) for about as long as it was behind the AMC 6-242 anyhow...

Yes. Take the transfer case with you, since the output splines are likely different (doesn't hurt to be sure. I think the AW4 changed for 1990/1991, but it may have been 1991/1992.)

You can adapt the shifter linkage, if necessary, with a kit from Novak. I've heard good reports about their tcase shifter linkage kit.

But, the bellhousing pattern is the same, and the AW4 didn't change (electrically or mechanically) for about as long as it was behind the AMC 6-242 anyhow...

Thanks, I will be using the Tranny/Tcase and Front Diff from the donor, it's parked right next to my MJ when we are working on it so I have access to all cables, linkages etc.

I think my only concern is the Electrical aspect of it, not sure if it will plug right in or whether I will have to start splicing wires.

Back