• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

long arms and unloading issues

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so im swapping in some tnt long arms
just a little concerned about them unloading at inopportune times and making the front axle bind up and not have as much traction.
havent cut the lower mounts yet.
just want a few opinions of guys running long arms, mostly radius arm kits like tnt or RE.
maybe i could keep my uppers in the stock location and just use the longer lowers too?
has anyone done that?
also limiting straps work, but then whats the point of long arms if im limiting them so much to the point of my current longer lower short arms(18.5" lowers)
?
just throwing some questions out there, looking for input

not once have i died from unloading radius arms

3/4 links have thier advantages, but any off the shelf 3/4 link kit isnt worlds better than an off the shelf radius arm. (not mucho separation)

if you need to learn the math and physics of all this stuff do a lil' searching. there are like 236659617 threads on this between naxja and pirate

Last edited:
not once have i died from unloading radius arms

LOL

OP, no you cannot run the long LCA's and stock length UCA's. Search for Teraflex longarm to see why. Pinion angle goes crazy during travel.

After going over this a million times, I've come to the conclusion that you'll be fine with any off the shelf suspension unless you are running D60's and 39's. Even then, I know I've seen a writeup where a guy used TnT's radius arms with a D44/D60 combo and 37's.

run a center limit strap.... you will still retain the majority of your wheel travel, but will limit your total axle travel. i beleive goatman runs two straps from the frame to the axle, as well as limit straps to prevent shock damage. if you are super worried about it, get a suckdown winch.

oh and i have never had much unload issues...

Can't do the much shorter upper arm thing, the different arc of movement of the upper and lower arms will create bad pinion rotation on full droop. What are you going for? Better climbing ability? Better go fast handling? More overall axle travel for go fast? More articulation on the trail? Trying to be cool? :)

A center limit strap works very well on the trail, but not good going faster to and from the trail, unless you unhook it. I did mine on the old XJ by running two straps to the middle from the bottom of each frame rail, with both straps going between two tabs on the housing and used a 1/2" pin. Full length allowed full droop, one twist of the two straps was for trail work, and one more twist was for steep climbs. That worked pretty well as long as you were willing to get out and make the change.

There are a few TnT longarm writeups with limiting straps. I think if I end up running the Tnt kit, I'll just do the limiting straps on each side to save my shocks.

Where are you guys mounting the center strap?

I was planning on using the stock upper control arm bolt holes on the frame to bolt on the strap and then hook it onto the upper radius arm bolt. (both sides)

My center limit straps are mounted to a shock tab welded to the bottom of each frame rail (I welded the tab to a plate and then welded the plate to the frame), then two tabs welded to the top of the tube, in line with the tube. The two strap ends go between the two tabs and slide in a 1/2 pin with a clip to hold it.

i was jsut getting a little cold feet cuz once i cut off the lca mounts its no going back...
ill stop being a lil bitch and finish the build. definetly not trying to be cool or anything, just wondering what everyones opinion is and the consensus is that ill be fine so i better shut the F#$%k up and wheel...hahaha
yah i forgot to mention i have a center limit strap to put on. got the kit used and for free...its a two peice, i guess the previous owner of the lift already addressed the issue, ill just make some sorta quick disco bolt thing for the two center straps for driving to and from.
whew, i feel alot better all of a sudden.
thanks for the input!!!!
not new to wheeling my jeep, just never thought id go long arms on it....

by the way my concern came from the build on pirate with the guy with 38s or 40s on one tons talking about unloading too much in the front and not having any traction up front in certain situations, i guess ill wheel it and figure it out as i go.

I run long radius arms. I have had some issues with loss of traction on the front axle when going vertical. I need to do a center limiting strap as well as the shock ones.

whats your set old_man?

I don't understand the unloading thing. I thought it was a result of the geometry of radius arms, where the rotational force of the wheel would cause the arm to want to rotate the other way, compressing the suspension. Even then, the downward force on the tires stays the same unless you're getting wheel hop.

If you're talking about the angle of the control arms forcing the wheels downward, wouldn't that be worse with short arms since they're more angled when you lift? And how does that reduce traction? How does a limiting strap help?

Last edited:
The only long arms I know of with unloading issues (really jamming issues) are the M16 and the AR-15.

once upon a time i thought radius arms catastrophically forced the axle away from the body and seemed to just keep dropping to infinity and that a 3 link was the end-all fix to that issue. well, i was totally wrong. i've owned a rig with short arms (haven't we all...), and ridden in both radius arm and 3-link setups over some pretty hairy stuff. not really a huge difference between the last 2. they will both flex so far that the coil is fully decompressed. there's really no advantage to that other than getting a baller RTI score. throw in either a center limit strap or one on each side and call it a day.

once upon a time i thought radius arms catastrophically forced the axle away from the body and seemed to just keep dropping to infinity and that a 3 link was the end-all fix to that issue. well, i was totally wrong. i've owned a rig with short arms (haven't we all...), and ridden in both radius arm and 3-link setups over some pretty hairy stuff. not really a huge difference between the last 2. they will both flex so far that the coil is fully decompressed. there's really no advantage to that other than getting a baller RTI score. throw in either a center limit strap or one on each side and call it a day.

So the unloading is because you have so much suspension travel?

Back