• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how big of a winch do I need?

smokeeaterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im pretty sure I need an 8000ibs winch but I run a 5.5 longarm kit and 33's with heavy bumpers and gear. Does a milemarker work fine or should I pull out all the stops and get a warn?

I'd get a 9000Lb or 9500lb winch. Not too much more than the 8000lb if you stick with the milemarker brand. I've got a MM hydraulic 10,500lb winch, a MM PE9500lb electric, and a Warn m8000. IMHO the milemarker was the best buy and is solid.

The warn will cost to alot more. With warn your paying for the faster line speed at the cost of drawing more amps and reduced pulling capacity compared to MM for less. I'm in no hurry and use the MM as my workhorse on my truck. It's solid and I like the 3/8" cable as opposed to the 5/16" on the warn. Just my .02$.

I have the Ramsey 8.5E. For the price it is a great winch. Sams offroad sells them for like $400 shipped.

Warn 8k for right over $500 new.

I bought the warn m8000 , I looked at a few others mile marker E9500 was a close second but warn is the more tested and has better waranty for about the same price. I think the warn has more hp also.

My Milemarker 8K works great. Slower, but it keeps pulling. No need to pull quickly when recovering.

Warn M8000. Definately get a pulley block and us it when stuck bad no matter what brand you end up with. remsing I checked out their site. Man I would like to have the Warn with the built in air compressor!!!! BTW 8,000 minimum.

Last edited:
I have a Ramsey Patriot 9500. It is faster than any Warn except the 8274 and It can't be stalled. Ramsey is the best bang for the buck on the market. They are also the largest winch manufacturer in the world.I would go Ramsey you can get a Patriot 9500lb. (Ramseys high end series) winch for about the same price as a basic 800lb. Warn. Ramsey also has a better gear system than Warn. Just my $.02 from all the research I had done.

Go warn...and look around for deals. I got my warn M8000 with a free tow strap, for $400, shipped to my door.

I say be smart, if you wheel with a club of mixed brands and makes, you should buy a winch that is capable of pulling out the biggest, heaviest vehicle in the club, that way when you have to pull them out you are set

The question is, "how big of a winch do I need".
The official answer is a winch thats rated at least 1.5 X the weight of the vehicle you are recovering.
"Will a Milemarker work"?, Sure it'll work. Obviously Warn has the better reputation. There are a bunch of winch manufacturers in between Milemarker and Warn as far as price and reputation, ie: Superwinch, Ramsey, Tabor, Tmax. If you gat a Warn, you are pretty much guarantied it will work reliably and if not they will take care of you. If you get the Milemarker, from what Ive read, you may or may not have good luck with it.

Back