• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 8 inch

Crazyy_Carey

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys i'm new to the fourm and just have a quick question. i plan on getting a rusty's 8 inch long arm and i've heard the front end sags if you have that lift and put a bumper and winch on. i'm just wondering how bad the sag is if any at all

I've been running that lift for three years now with a large bumper and 10k lb winch with no noticeable sagging:

Easter09003.jpg

Standard. The ride is... well, not as as nice as my Lexus, but no worse than other Jeeps. At first I used rubber bushings in the control arms and they didn't last. I replaced all bushings with poly and they've held up so far. The front has a bit of bounce to it while the rear is really soft. I most definately recommend a high steer correction of some sort, that was an issue for me. The rear needs a good bumpstop extension. The front doesn't rub at all while flexing but the rear does, this is with 35"x13.5" tires and Bushwacker flares.

If I had it to do again I wouldn't. I'd probably try to imitate this build: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_bds_long_arm_lift_kit/index.html

...just my opinion.

Standard. The ride is... well, not as as nice as my Lexus, but no worse than other Jeeps. At first I used rubber bushings in the control arms and they didn't last. I replaced all bushings with poly and they've held up so far. The front has a bit of bounce to it while the rear is really soft. I most definately recommend a high steer correction of some sort, that was an issue for me. The rear needs a good bumpstop extension. The front doesn't rub at all while flexing but the rear does, this is with 35"x13.5" tires and Bushwacker flares.

If I had it to do again I wouldn't. I'd probably try to imitate this build: http://www.jpmagazine.com/techartic...eep_cherokee_bds_long_arm_lift_kit/index.html

...just my opinion.

thats nice but the lift is a lil too expensive for my taste, is there anything around rusty's price that'd you'd recommend and about the same lift height

thats nice but the lift is a lil too expensive for my taste, is there anything around rusty's price that'd you'd recommend and about the same lift height
why do you want 8" you planning on running 40's? look into tnt clayton or re, you pay for what you get

I agree with everyone else here that 8" is too high. That's why I wouldn't do it again, it feels unstable on the trail. Rusty's is no less expensive than other kits when you factor in all the extras needed to complete the lift. Just plan on spending some coin regardless of which lift you choose, you do get what you pay for.

I don't know about wheeling in other states, but here in WA my 8" of lift has come in handy many times and I would not want to go any lower (or higher).

I have Rustys springs and custom control arms. I bought the Jeep with the lift and bumper on it and have since added a winch. I recently measured my lift using this method http://www.mike-g.net/jeep/yinyang/techdex.html and it measured out to just over 7" of lift in the front. With all that weight on the front it is probably causing a bit of sag, but it has never created any problems and it doesn't seem to be getting any lower.

Jeeping002.jpg

I don't know about wheeling in other states, but here in WA my 8" of lift has come in handy many times and I would not want to go any lower (or higher).

yea , i have heard the rocks are taller out there. over here everything is slippery and off camber

I have Rustys springs and custom control arms. I bought the Jeep with the lift and bumper on it and have since added a winch. I recently measured my lift using this method http://www.mike-g.net/jeep/yinyang/techdex.html and it measured out to just over 7" of lift in the front. With all that weight on the front it is probably causing a bit of sag, but it has never created any problems and it doesn't seem to be getting any lower.

Jeeping002.jpg

what steering and trackbar setup is that?

I agree with everyone else here that 8" is too high. That's why I wouldn't do it again, it feels unstable on the trail. Rusty's is no less expensive than other kits when you factor in all the extras needed to complete the lift. Just plan on spending some coin regardless of which lift you choose, you do get what you pay for.

what about the 5.5 rubicon express? and is it true everything after 6 inches i need a cv aswell as a sye because i know you need one as soon as you lift any amount

RE is pretty good, i run their leaves and coils. depends on the year xj...newer models require an SYE after a few inches, older xj's can get away with more lift before needing one. My 2001 got vibes with a budget boost (2" spacer lift). Either way its a good idea to get one, you can run the same driveshaft front/rear with some of them, get a stronger rear output, and if you break your rear driveshaft you can take it out and drive in front wheel drive...without loosing all of your tc fluid.

You need the 8" in WA? I don't see how you have an advantage over a 6.5" lift. You have no more ground clearance and you aren't gaining any additional flex. Unless I am misunderstanding? To each his own though.

Im here in washington too. I run 8 inches with my long arm on 35s. I MIGHT considering going to 6.5 inches on my next build but I definetely love the clearance. Its not to tipsy in off camber situations, just not a good idea to mount a spare tire or roof rack on top if you that high.

Back