• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sensor problem??

heinz77

NAXJA Forum User
This is my first post... so... Hi, I'm Heinz. I'm from Holland and I live in the United Arab Emirates. The guys at the local Jeep workshop are excellent on new models... but have are not very knowledgeable when it comes to the XJ ... so i have been reading up on NAXJA to sort out a few issues i had with my XJ.

Now i've got this problem:

I have a 1999 manual with a AirAid CAI and Poweraid TBS. It has a Dynomax Catback. When the "check engine" is off (e.g. after i disconnected my battery) ...my engine has a bad idle. It almost stalls and then starts revving the engine... and sputters. Then the "check engine" light comes on the engine idles perfectly normal. I have a 1999 manual with a AirAid CAI, Poweraid TBS and a Dynomax Catback.

Like i said the guys are clueless when it comes to XJ :dunno: and seem to have no interest in resolving my problem. :sure: Example: Having A/C trouble, they told me they had to strip the dash to fix it (minimum 700$), reading up on NAXJA i found that i needed to replace my vacuum line (10$) ...

Think i'll stick to NAXJA advice from now on :thumbup:

I took my jeep for service and informed them the check engine light had come on...The "check engine" light was off when i got the jeep back, they checked the computer but said there was no code. their explanation... "probably faulty wiring" :confused1

the engine started stuttering at idle again a few days later... now the light is back on.

Could it be...

- sensor problem?
- fuel pump?
- catalytic converter (looks pretty old)

Since it seems they don't know what to do with an automotive scanner, I would buy a cheap OBD II scan tool online and use it myself personally.

Could be any of the things you listed as well as a whole bunch of others. Hopefully the codes will indicate which once you pull them :dunno:

When you disconnect the battery the PCM will loose its memory--when reconnected and the engine is started the PCM has to re-establish its base settings.

Back