• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

THOR 4X4 Corner Guards Rusting

Curt'sY2KXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am unsure of how to coat my THOR 4x4 Corner Guards. I sent my Jeep to a body shop to have all installed and they told me the "best way" was to Bevel and 3M panel bond all sides that touch the body. They sold me on it so I let them do it. It has been about 6 months since the install and the top edge is rusting as well as the bottom edge of the light boxes. I just wanted to see if i am the only one having this problem or if others have as well and what I can do to stop the rust. I realize its a Jeep not a Ferrari but I want it to look good and last a while. Anyone with input, Thanks.

I am not an expert or anything but I had mine powder coated before I put them on. Make sure to seal the edges with silicone so they water does not get trapped.

I'd say take it them off and and grind or sandblast them and have them powder coated.
Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the info you have had no problems witht them rusting at all? I wanted to keep them color match if I can. Wonder if there is color match powder coat. Thanks again.

-Curtis

Spray paint and don't look back.

It's a jeep and it will be thrashed, or else their is no reason to have armored corners.

-Alex

Spray paint and don't look back.

It's a jeep and it will be thrashed, or else their is no reason to have armored corners.

-Alex
:laugh:
That funny but true. why get gaurds if you don't plan on them getting used.

I used normal silcone that I put in a cauking gun that dries clear. You could paint it I suppose but not worth the time and effort. I know that there is a lot of different powder coat colors you would just have to check with your local powder coater. I just did mine black so I can rattle can it when I need to. My jeep is white. I like the contrast and they stand out. everyone is different. good luck.

I say get 'em powder coated. the powder coater should clean them up for you and if not you have the wrong powder coater! I don't care if my ride gets scratched up but I HATE rust. Glad I live in California

paint, and silicon dont mix. hardly any type of surface covering will bond to silicon

:twak:

SILICONE!

(sorry, one of my pet peeves)

Silicon:
800px-SiliconCroda.jpg

Silicone:
31fczjF4e5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And yeah... almost nothing sticks to silicone, due to its chemical structure. The only silicones that are really paintable are generally silicone/latex mixtures, don't last as long, and really aren't very paintable, they just aren't completely non paintable :laugh3:

Back