• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Defrost trouble shoot

VAhasnoWAVES

NAXJA Forum User
'97 sport.
4.0, AX-15, 231, 8.25.

My rear defrost isnt working... the light on the switch isnt turning on, so i started by snagging a switch from the JY and plugging it in. still a no-go (now this doesnt mean that the switch from the yard was good). but is this accessory on its own fuse that i can check? if not, where would you suggest i start probing around with the voltmeter to find the problem.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe it is a fuse on the panel under the dash. Of course it would help if we knew what year your Jeep is, as things change over the years.

Here ya go- Fuses/diagrams from my 97 Owner's Manual. One in the PDC, one in the kick panel. If the starter works, I wouldn't think it's the PDC fuse (listed as Starter, Rear Defroster). If it's not just the fuse, time to grab the DMM.

DSCF5574.jpg

DSCF5573.jpg

REVISITING: its been hot and obviously i havent needed my defroster. but the fuse was not the problem and it wouldnt make sense for it to be, my turn signals and flashers still function properly.

now, is there a mechanism that heats up the defroster that could fail? and would the defroster not working possibly throw a code but not show a CEL?

check the power to and from the switch start there
all you should have in a wire going to the glass with or maybe with out a resistor that could be the prob too

VAhasnoWAVES, have you been able to resolve this issue? I have the same exact problem. I tried replacing the defroster switch without any luck.

no clue where it's located on a '97, but there's a relay (the thing that chicks when you push the button) that actually sends the power to the grid-- I'd see if the FSM gives a location and if not, I'd find someone with a '97 and listen under their dash when they throw the switch.

Back