• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Grind

inkonmylar

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I rebuild my transmission (4.0 L 1995 XJ AW4) over the winter and added a new torque converter. The jeep shifts very well, and is very responsive to the throttle. However, it has developed some vibration from the torque converter (?) and a grinding sound when I take my foot off the gas going 50-60 mph. The grinding quickly goes away within a couple of seconds, but it is disconcerting all the same.

The vibration has been occuring when the car is not moving, but the trans is in drive with my foot on the brake. When I put it in Park or Neutral its smooth again.

I believe the vibration is from the torque converter being unevenly torqued to the flywheel, I'll verify this this weekend. Does anyone have any ideas about the brief but annoying grind going 50-60 mph?

Thank you.

i have the same grinding noise when letting off at highway speeds. though mine also occurs when letting off brake from a complete stop. would love to know what it is.

Back