• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ 44 axle seals

WI88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I tried to search but I just get a bunch of junk and I need to know within the hour....

Does the Dana 44 XJ rear diff have an inner and outer axle seal? I know it has the outer but the parts house says it has an inner seal too. I'm at work and I can't get away to look in the tube but I need to know asap. If it does, where is the inner seal? Just inside the end of the tube? Inside by the carrier? :dunno: Anybody?

No, there are no inner seals for the rear XJ D44.

The only seal is on the axle shaft retained between the bearing and retainer plate.

havent seen the inside of an xj44 in a while but many rear 44's use inner axle seals (they go right on the other side of the wheel bearing) and the wheel bearing is lubricated simply by wheel bearing grease and an outer seal is used of course.

then why would it have inner seals by the carrier.

nevermind i just reread your post....just outer seals like every other xj axle ive torn down.

Last edited:
Back