• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bleeding an external slave AX15

Jeff in VA

<---respect
Long story short, I swapped AX15's in my MJ to an external slave setup. Sourced a sealed, prebled master/hydraulic line/slave assembly from the junkyard but awhile ago, I seperated the slave and hydraulic line from the master because a friend needed the slave. He ended up not using it and I got it back, reattached the master and put it all in my heep.

There's a small allen head setscrew in the top of the slave that I cracked open to bleed the assembly (and got showered with brake fluid in the process), and I've got a somewhat good pedal but I know there's still air in the system. Anyone ever successfully bled one of these "sealed, pre-bled" assemblies?

I was thinking about replacing the setscrew with a conventional bleed screw....anyone happen to know the thread/pitch of it?

TIA,

Jeff

Every slave I've dealt with you cant bleed it at that port. You can drill it out and bleed it from there which is what it sounds like what happened to this slave. I forgot to put that allen screw in my slave and been fine without it.

The systems tend to be very soft compared to other manual I've driven

You have to "reverse " bleed that system. Unbolt the slave from the bellhousing. Take the cap off the master cylinder. Using short strokes (no pun intended) cycle the pushrod on the slave till there is only fluid flowing in the master, no air bubbles. Just had to do this to my TJ and that is the factory recommended way.

You have to "reverse " bleed that system. Unbolt the slave from the bellhousing. Take the cap off the master cylinder. Using short strokes (no pun intended) cycle the pushrod on the slave till there is only fluid flowing in the master, no air bubbles. Just had to do this to my TJ and that is the factory recommended way.

x2 plus you have to point the slave down at the ground. at least the instructions say so

I'll give the reverse bleed a shot tonight after work, thanks.

And if it matters at all, do either of you know if that allen screw should be facing up or down when the slave is installed? It fits both ways, but if one way is more correct.......

Thanks!

Jeff

Thats interesting, because I replaced my slave not too long ago & had to drill out that hole with the screw in it to be able to bleed the system and it has been working fine since then.

follow up.....the reverse bleeding trick worked great, I now have a full clutch. Thanks guys! :cheers:

Jeff

Found in a search, about to swap in a new ext slave. Thanks for the reverse bleed recomendation.

One more question, this slave came with the plastic strap holding the rod into slave. Do i leave it be as recommended with the internal slave? Once bolted in, align with fork and pumping the pedal will pop the bands?

Realtime help appreciated... need to get sons rig finished.

One more question...

The newly sourced slave has a spacer..where the one prior did not. Any ideas here.. do i keep it attached?

YJslave.jpg

Looks more like a steel backing plate than a spacer to me. The critical dimension is measured from the other side of the plastic plate.

I still have the original cylinder on my 94. When I replaced the set in my Dodge CTD, it came with the same type of bands. The instructions were to leave them in place, they'd break on the first press of the clutch pedal. Worked just fine. Oh, and you do want to leave that plastic tip in place.

The black piece in lower pic is plastic and what i'm referring to as a spacer. Note the two pics.. i have the metal backing plate lined up horizontally.

I reverse bled the slave as directed, probably have about 1/2 of a cylinders worth of fluid in the line. Kept the plastic straps intact. Greased the plastic tip where it sits in fork. I'll sit in the seat and finish bleeding by depressing pedal slowly till i work all the air out and the straps pop. The cap at end did sit on fork and i pulled the slave in on the studs as i tightened it down, i'm sure it's installed correctly now.

I just installed my XJ's engine into my son's YJ.. had it running and he took for a ride. Came back and said slave was squeeking so he removed it and greased the tip. He missed the fork reinstalling and shot the rod into the bellhousing..

Back