• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my AW4 OK?

pdbinnc

NAXJA Forum User
So I've got a 1999 Cherokee Sport 4.0L 4x4 with the AW4 AT. It's got 130k miles, I bought it at 115k, and had the transmission fluid and filter changed at 120k. The fluid is at the right level and is still bright pink, doesn't smell.

While on the highway at about 50-60, turning about 1700rpm. If I take my foot off the gas, the revs drop to about 1200 to coast, then if I put my foot back on it, the revs go to about 2200 before going back down to 1700 again.

The transmission shifts smoothly in all gears and doesn't slip otherwise.

Is this just my torque converter unlocking and locking or something I should be worried about? The driveline does seem to have a little snatch when getting away from a stop.

Thanks!

Peter

It sounds like whats happening is your torque convertor unlock when you take your foot off the gas and locks again when you re-apply it. Should be nothing to worry about.

Probably nothing, but just for grins and giggles why don't you adjust the throttle pressure cable: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963; also, test the TPS reference voltage and see if the output is 83 percent of reference--if it isn't you will have to replace it.

Back