• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Took off doors, cant get them back on

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Took the front drivers door off my jeep and cant get it back on. It has pre 96 style hinges. the door hits the body panel, so I cant line up the upper hinge. Any suggestions?

Try it fully open and fully closed. Mine hits as well if its in a certain spot. Just mess around with it.

i leave the pin in the bottom and slip that in. but take the pin out of the top, line it up which ever way is most comfortable, then slip the top pin in. real easy.

Did you, at any point, unbolt the hinges from the door? I did, and then had to shim the hinges.

This is why you don't remove the doors from an XJ or any Unibody Rig. The doors help reduce body flex. If you have to have a Jeep without doors either install a full cage or EXO first or just buy a Jeep with a Frame.

This is why you don't remove the doors from an XJ or any Unibody Rig. The doors help reduce body flex. If you have to have a Jeep without doors either install a full cage or EXO first or just buy a Jeep with a Frame.

Explain how the Jeep doesn't fold when you open the doors to get in/out. :viking:

Youve gotta cut down the hinge pins a little bit then thell slip right on no problem
Ill give that a shot.... I think that might do the trick.
Try it fully open and fully closed. Mine hits as well if its in a certain spot. Just mess around with it.
I tried both... fully open got the closest, but no cigar.
Did you, at any point, unbolt the hinges from the door? I did, and then had to shim the hinges.
Nope, I didn't want to deal with the shims.
Sure the doors help reduce flex, but a very minimal amount. Most of the support comes from the A, B, and C pillars... very little structural integrity is gained by having the doors on.

Fold like a taco?:greensmok

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I love when people believe this.

Don't be stupid.

I call bull on this comment.!!!1

The reason the doors won't line up, is that he probably unbolted them from the door. They are no longer in alignment. Mine is doorless and it gets wheeled. My doors go back on easily and line up fine, every time.

WHAT? Give me a break..I rock crawl with my doors off, then slide them back on to drive home...Hell i have 4 set's of doors i change all the time...

To the OP..
Take your time and adjust your doors..I have the inner fender wells removed from mine.. This made it easy for me to adjust them, i just got them snug to hold the door in place..Then i closed the door and pushed on the top and bottom to get them to line up...Then i tighten them so i could open them, then got them real tight..Now they slide on and off easy...

HTH

The rear hatch on an XJ is part of the structrue. Thats why when flexed out the rear hatch wont latch shut. The other doors open and shut no matter what im doing and are not part of the structure.

Stop spreading bad info.

I got it guys, I just had to cut the pin down a little bit and beveled the end to a dull point. Slid right in.

Thanks for the help.

i highly doubt the rear hatch provides significant structure either. mines fiberglass and mounts in three spots. one wobbles and the other two have little crap shims under them. if these do indeed provide structure then i might not buy another xj.

The rear hatch on an XJ is part of the structrue. Thats why when flexed out the rear hatch wont latch shut. The other doors open and shut no matter what im doing and are not part of the structure.Stop spreading bad info.

The hatch isnt structural either. It doesnt like to open/close when flexed because the body flexes.

OP: You might try grinding a bevel on the alignment pins. I got some tapered ones from ace, they make it easier, just dont forget to lube the holes up before door install.

I guess I'll tell my Uncle the Ford car design engineer, to return his Engineering Doctorate. Because according to him, who designs Unibody cars and vans that he and ALL the other designers at the automotive companies that they are Full of S$%t and to return their degrees and get jobs at Mickey D's.

I guess I'll tell my Uncle the Ford car design engineer, to return his Engineering Doctorate. Because according to him, who designs Unibody cars and vans that he and ALL the other designers at the automotive companies that they are Full of S$%t and to return their degrees and get jobs at Mickey D's.

ive been through a few unibodies because solely because i took my doors off. it gets old after a while, but i need to look like a badass driving down the highway somehow

the i know my hatch wouldnt shut when i jacked up my rear corner on my back bumper(not stock bumper). but my doors open and close no problem at my maxed out flex when rock crawling

Back